Fix motor mounts with JB weld??

GoldenMotor.com

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
No, jb weld will not fix it. You need to get the bolts out and replace them. Check youtube for a vid on using "easy outs". Or other methods of removing broken bolts.

Reactions: Dan

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
If it doesn't work drill it out and re-tap with bigger American made studs from Lowes. They sell them by the foot in hardware.

Reactions: Dan

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
use a reverse drill bit, if the bolts were not installed long ago a reverse drill bit might grab the bolt and spin them out.

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I have come to a solution. I bought 4 large clamps and clamped them very tightly around different parts of the motor. It has been working well so far.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy, JJ. All the easy temp stuff might get ya by and I'm guessing you don't want to hear it, but really should be done right. The engine will slowly turn left and then yer walking her home. Great advice above and I would do it in order of ease. First try to notch the broken studs and try and get a screw driver to back em out. If that fails, and it will work on the first 2 and fail on the third. Just Murphy's law, there, I would get/borrow an extractor kit. If ya get a really cheap one, it'll just frustrate ya. If all else fails, I would drill em out and tap new, larger threads. Almost any new studs will be better but my personal choice is automotive. They are made for this application and are gritty and hang in there better, don't shear or shatter like the kit ones. Just the right tool/part for the job. Ya might be tempted to go with stainless or some high grade material. But is a waste and this will work better.

This is just the good advice you already received above but in order of ease. Just my HO an' 2 cents.

Ride safe!

Edit; Dang, I forgot heliocol! https://www.google.com/search?q=hel...d=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=helicoil+for+engine+studs

This is an oldy but a goody thread from way back on your problem;
https://motorbicycling.com/threads/drilling-and-tapping-jb-weld.57153/

Just sayin' it's been tried a lot. And folks don't want ya to get hurt. And it can be dangerous at worst and a waste of $ & time at best.

Last edited: