Finally, let the games begin....

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I put a little time into my junk yard build/summer contest bike.

The build will consist of a '92 Murray Westport. (Frame) bought the whole bike for 25, then Randy the K threw half of it away "modifying" his bike with parts from it.
A 70's Western Auto Stores Western Flyer (Forks, crank, sprocket seat post, misc hardware) This was the first motorized bike I ever built, this is all that's left of it.
A late 90's early 2000's Huffy Sante Fe (Rear wheel, misc sheetmetal) I bought this bike at an auction for a dollar and a half.
And finally an early 70cc dax bushed engine with around 800 miles on it. My first bicycle motor.

Here's a photo of the westport/flyer/evil knievil motocyclebike fork chopper frankenstein -
no....I won't be using the fork extensions!

Here's a shot of the Huffy donor bike.-

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I painted the whole works orange...it looked nice, then I did a second coat with the same paint, and IT KRINKLED!!!!!

Whatever, this IS for the "Junkyard build off" and my own personal loaner/test mule.

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i dig that textured paint job!

i asked an airbrush artist today about what sort of paint might be good to use on a bicycle, and he offered to paint mine for free if i bought the paint and prepped the frame!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, the paint is so badly checked, I sanded it down and sprayed it agin....now it's worse...not sure what I did wrong, but it's a mess!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
So today I was busy doing a lot of family oriented stuff, so no real progress on the build except the duct tape paint job.

Yeah, the wrinkle mess was not to my liking and rather than sand it for hours and start again, and since this is the junkyard build off I decided that the cheap roll of duct tape on the shelf would be the best/quickest paint job. No prep, easy to apply and the touch up should be easy too.

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
I painted the whole works orange...it looked nice, then I did a second coat with the same paint, and IT KRINKLED!!!!!

Whatever, this IS for the "Junkyard build off" and my own personal loaner/test mule.
Joe usually when the paint gets the orange peal texture it means you did not remove the oil contaminants after sanding wipe the metal down with MEK or Acetone to remove any oil residue(c)

Cookie

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Ok i got an old Moutain bike for Free and will get som pics soon, I thibk i could have some fun. Does it have to have a motor or is the motor for the bike winner?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Joe usually when the paint gets the orange peal texture it means you did not remove the oil contaminants after sanding wipe the metal down with MEK or Acetone to remove any oil residue(c)

Cookie
I know!:confused: I've painted a million and one things, and I think I am pretty good at it.....and that's what I don't understand. I prepped it and the first coats went down fine, but the last coat wrinkled...

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Update: Finally got around to servicing the back wheel that came off the 3 dollar auction bike....wheel bearing cage crushed, insde looked like crushed jagged chunks of something from the hub. Toast. Still in a rear wheel deficit.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
...and this project has ground to a halt.

The original owner just happened to stop by, and since I spent sooooo much time re-doing this bike he had the nerve to say "Oh that's cool looking, what you did to my bike!"

His bike, which he left here a year ago saying "I don't have the money to get it fixed, just keep it."

I though he meant keep it, not "store it until I see potential in it".

blah