FEZ build thread

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Needed a cheap bike to make an experimental build. So got this;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-BCA-Charleston-Cruiser-Blue/44781895

Got a wallyworld credit card so took off $35 from the $116 price with tax (=$81)

Aside from not being black, it fits my wants for a cheap bike. Steel, cruiser frame. Don't normally care if steel or not but does make for a more solid feel while riding. Will paint black and swop with forks with some old suspension ones I have hanging around.

And of course, remove the fenders. Will drill holes in front fender and use U Bolts to secure them. What happens as the front fender eventually lets go, it follows the wheel around and jams front wheel to a complete stop. The front of the bike stops and the rider and rest of the bike keep going and ya face plant.

Except for the size, I prefer 4 smokes. 2 strokes are quicker off the line and have a better weight to power, ratio and ya don't have to use wide petals/cranks. (I hate "duck peddling) But much prefer sound, vibrations and power. It is much easier to turn power into speed. If all things are comparable

Also, I think many would agree, the 2 strokes are far better looking. But this is an experimental build.

2 stroke bicycle engine kits can be found on the web for around $100 to $150. Normally not made with a great deal of concern as to tolerances or quality. But are amazing little power plants and for just a hobby or distraction, are great I know many folks who use them as their main or only transportation.

They sound like angry, muffled weed-wackers. 4 strokes have the more pleasing sound of a lawn mower.

================================================================================

For a power plant/parts & incidentals, Did a quick, just grab one search and got this;

Average, not expensive 4 stroke kit. (are these trannys still called hoots?) $269.95 to my door.

So, $351 so far.

Will also replace tranny and throttle. I have a duel brake one thats awesome. I used to worry that if the duel brake failed, I was messed up. Then realized, I had never broken a brake handle in my life. Also replacing front wheel with a HD Worksman I have. So effectively have 3 brakes, Rear and 2 on the front. Sidepull and internal on the FT wheel. I paid $99 but see they are down to 71. https://www.worksmancycles.com/

$450 with extras and whatnot $400

(NEVER BUILD WITH OUT LIBERAL AMOUNTS OF WHATNOT!) you could be killed!

Transmission to be multi speed automatic.

Also Tom made an awesome layback seat post for me. That and some suspension are my most recommended upgrades. There being such less need to use all your weight and be over the pedals, it is tiring to be leaning on your arms. A bent or layback seat post puts you in more of a sitting comfortably position. Suspension just makes for a more comfortable, less tiering and bone jarring ride. Over 20 MPH, even just minor imperfections in the road can be less than comfortable. an actual pothole or raised manhole cover can knock off the pedals.

bent, layback seat posts; https://www.google.com/search?q=lay...0eXXAhWJ-VQKHfgDAtAQ_AUICygC&biw=1355&bih=639

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am also posting this thread at priuschat.com and for folks who have not seen or built a MB.

Just explaining why I over explained some stuff.

Cody hansen

Nov 29, 2017
Los Angeles
This looks like fun to build. I was a little worried about the build for the 2 stroke engine we jus threaded about. But I wanted something more. Also I wouldn't have had a bike so that's why I went the route I went for the incomplete bike I got.

Cody hansen

Nov 29, 2017
Los Angeles
From YouTube videos I've watched I also might need the big flywheel for the back tire but the way my set up is idk how that works when the smaller sprockets have a setup on each side of the seat

Cody hansen

Nov 29, 2017
Los Angeles
It definitely looks like it was rigged from the motor to the small sprocket under the carburetor to the gears on the back tire. But I wasn't given to much info from the seller as he wasn't sure himself lol. He told me to Google bc he didn't know.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
built one similar - fairly easy build, but those caliper brakes are just barely acceptable

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
20171209_170845.jpg

Have to mill part of the engine. Not using the hoot reduction.

But kit would work great and fits easily with this bike.

The bike came with folding pedals. I've never seen those but great idea and would make car transport way easier.

20171209_170951.jpg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
built one similar - fairly easy build, but those caliper brakes are just barely acceptable
They really do look flimsy, Crassius.

Worse, has a really cheapo rear wheel.

Man, for 70 bucks! LoL.

Kidding aside, spokes won't last long with a 4 smoke.

Just a larger rubber portion of the rag joints would solve that.

Can you buy that material? That would make a great product! Really would solve spoke bending. HF 79cc's bend much better spokes than these.