Failure to disengage and rolls free

GoldenMotor.com

Kavon

Feb 27, 2023
Thanks for viewing and I
At a standstill, with clutch engaged it's not moving like it should. So when I disengage it, the bike rolls as expected. Here's where my issues begin....

Once I reach the street to ride the bike, im disengaging clutch as I push with my feet gaining momentum etc...
As soon as I engage my clutch, the motor doesn't start and my bike is rolling as if I had been pulling in the lever.

It's just not making any sense to me. I've tinkered with this and put it back multiple times.

I've tinkered with the flower nut, clutch cable, clutch plate, pads, etc...
The last 3 motors I've used resulted in the same issue, so I've begun to question whether I'm inspecting what I need to.
Even re mounting the motor, and even chain replacement, but still can't get passed it.
Also I replaced the woodruff key once expecting that would fix, however with a new installed one the result remained the same.

If you have any criticism or advice, all is welcomed. Lol

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
The small screw that locks the flower nut to the clutch plate, sometimes that is a little bit too long and prevents the clutch plate from fully contacting the clutch pads.

Reactions: Mossy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It sounds like you don’t have the flower nut tight enough, remove the side cover and walk the bike watching the gears, with the clutch handle pulled only the plate should spin, once you let go of the handle the gear should spin. I pull the clutch handle in and lock it, then adjust the flower nut in till the plate barely touches the pads, then I roll the bike to check for tightness. This works every time.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
If everything else is been checked over... The spring sometimes falls off it's perch with the pintle that secures it... Or the nut that tensions it could be backed off... If you take out the clutch cable mounting bolt in the case you can adjust the nut tighter by holding the nut with a flat blade screwdriver and rotate the wheel backwards... ;)

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Remove the clutch cable bracket from the motor itself, inside there you will find there is a small slotted nut that will thread around the clutch mechanism.

What you need to do is you need to find where a slot is stick a screwdriver and roll the bicycle backwards to tighten the clutch a little bit don't go more than half the back tires revolution. Give it a try and see if that helps just be sure not to over tighten it because then it will stay engaged constantly.

Reactions: Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
All these problems are from not taking the entire engine apart and checking everything and adding grease... Don't assume the cheapest engine on the planet is 100% out of the box

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil