F Zero Overview

GoldenMotor.com

fzeroguy

Oct 5, 2021
Just wanted to share my experience with a new F Zero and the BT 80 drivetrain I installed. And then a tech question.
I transferred the BT-80 from a Huffy because I wanted more 'bike' under me, and the F Zero is that. The engine fit fine, but there was no way to make the pedal cranks wide enough to operate the bicycle part. So I shot a bolt through a crank arm and into the frame -- now I have 'pedal pegs'...my legs are offset, one up one back, but I don't find it uncomfortable. The banana seat was, so I replaced it with a big fat Schwinn seat and what a difference in ride. I am 5'10' 180 so the bike is a bit small, but not a problem. It handles like a small motorcycle with the 2.5 inch Hookworm tires. With the just broken-in BT 80, it cruises at 30mph and I've touched 36mph on my gps speedometer. Springer forks help absorb potholes, etc. I have the itch to keep working on the bike, modifying the engine, but have found that very few aftermarket parts fit the engine. I've tried 2 chambers/silencers and they don't match up to the manifold. You can't put on a hi performance head. I am happy with the performance, just want to keep tinkering. I haven't heard good things about hi-po carbs, but I was able to add a free flow airfilter. Runs a bit better at speed. NGK plug helped also. The BT 80 is electric start and pull start.
I can't get the electric start to work. It just goes click. All connections are tight, the LiPO battery is 13 volts, the engine ground is on bare metal. I tried jumping the solenoid, but nothing happened, so I replaced the solenoid, same result. You can get stock parts for the BT 80, so I replaced the starter. Click. I've just now ordered a new switch assembly, hopefully that's what is wrong. Anyone had the same experience? Happy to be part of the forum and willing to answer any questions about this build.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Wide cranks are an easy swap onto that frame and will clear the BT just fine. Measure your studs and there are pipes and intakes to fit. If you have more troubles I can fabricate an intake for you once I have my shop set back up.

fzeroguy

Oct 5, 2021
Thank you. I have reamed the performance exhaust pipe flange holes to fit the studs but haven't found a pipe that mates correctly to the exhaust manifold opening. They just sit flush and leak. I was thinking of using a section of the stock muffler pipe that seals to the manifold and welding it to the new exhaust.

fzeroguy

Oct 5, 2021
The new switch assembly didn't fix the problem. I must have done something wrong somewhere.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Yes, if you can cut the stock exhaust off a few inches from the cylinder and weld the new one from there is a really good way to do it

Thank you. I have reamed the performance exhaust pipe flange holes to fit the studs but haven't found a pipe that mates correctly to the exhaust manifold opening. They just sit flush and leak. I was thinking of using a section of the stock muffler pipe that seals to the manifold and welding it to the new exhaust.