Exhaust Gasket Replacement?

GoldenMotor.com

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
One of the sides of my exhaust did not have the lock washer on it for some reason and came loose and blew the gasket. It now spits the hot oil on my leg at WOT. Anybody know where i can get just a replacement gasket material or make one? Have access to a CNC if thats at all a help.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
One of the sides of my exhaust did not have the lock washer on it for some reason and came loose and blew the gasket. It now spits the hot oil on my leg at WOT. Anybody know where i can get just a replacement gasket material or make one? Have access to a CNC if thats at all a help.
Copper sheet .045-.060 thick...heat it with a propane torch to a dead-soft condition, Cherry red...EDIT, (easily pliable by hand). Make your gasket. Torque the header...run the engine up to normal temp...re-torque the header...DONE!

Jim

Last edited:

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
wow thats a pretty extreme way to make the smoke go down the pipe! if it were up to me i would stick any old thing in there. the tough cardboard on the back of note pads is an easy and sure way to go. tacky, but hey, i fix stuff with a sledgehammer. if it works it works.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
wow thats a pretty extreme way to make the smoke go down the pipe! if it were up to me i would stick any old thing in there. the tough cardboard on the back of note pads is an easy and sure way to go. tacky, but hey, i fix stuff with a sledgehammer. if it works it works.
LOL...A few minutes with a punch kit, and a tin snip...I really wanted to make a Die & Punch set so that the gasket would be formed perfectly. I hear Ya'...a Heavy paper gasket will work fine too, as long as no whistlers get through. A small leak will burn through paper quick!

Jim

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
sorry btw, i meant no disrespect.

true.

i actually dont have a gasket on mine right now. i just too darn excited to hear it run right again. :p

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I have had to replce the exhaust gasket several times. I also used the cardboard from the back of an old notebook. I wiped it down real good with 2 stroke oil and have not had one blow or leak on me yet. I just manage to tear them when I pull the muffler off causing me to have to make a new one.
This trick works good for those of us that don't have a well stocked shop.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I used the gasket material from the auto parts store...just the standard, not the heavy duty or anything. It blew pretty quick. High-temp RTV on both sides of the cardboard gasket will keep it from blowing. I ran probably 700mi with the gasket like that.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
I used some hi-temp gasket material that came from an auto store. I've had the stuff for years. Use to use it for tractor manifolds. It's gray and is about the same thickness as the back of a notebook cardboard. It is very stiff and needs to be cut with an utility knife.

Hope this helps

saolom

Oct 14, 2008
Australia
I use $2 dollar store superglue and glue seal the edges. Then i use a very thin layer of RTV Silicone red stuff . Have not changed it for 6months so work excellent!

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Mine blew 10 km from home, I just cleaned the surfaces back to bear metat and siliconed in place have traveled 200km since no probs thanks for the reminder to retorque the nuts

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
Hey NunyaBidness --

I have had to replce the exhaust gasket several times. I also used the cardboard from the back of an old notebook. I wiped it down real good with 2 stroke oil and have not had one blow or leak on me yet. I just manage to tear them when I pull the muffler off causing me to have to make a new one.
This trick works good for those of us that don't have a well stocked shop.
I just tried your idea, when I first ran the motor for about 5 minutes the oil starting cooking around the edges and soon evaporated, there was a little bit of smoke. Just now I got back from taking a 10 minute ride up a steep hill. The thick cardboard (not corrugated) edges look a already dry and when I hit the top of the hill I could smell a little bit of cardboard burning smell and still a very very tiny bit of smoke. I'm thinking if the cardboard doesn't burn up, oil will eventually soak into it and I would imagine it will eventually carbonize.

I'm in Taiwan where it is hard to find things like sheets of DIY gaskets which is why I tried this, but I may try finding a thick piece of aluminum and cut another gasket.

Any further thoughts on oil-soaked cardboard exhaust gaskets?

Russ

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can cut dozens of gaskets from a single soft aluminum roaster pan. The thicker ones work great as exhaust gasket material.
Head gaskets too!

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
My exhaust gasket failed early on. I saw some aluminum gaskets advertised for sale so I made one, probably about 1/16th thick, and it has worked really well.

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
I gave up on the cardboard gasket. It continued to smoke after a few more tests.

Ended up cutting out a gasket from the cover of a discarded floppy drive which was made of aluminum. Looks like this is going to work!

Also, got to see the state of the cardboard gasket after removing the exhaust pipe: it was scorched and I'm sure after an hour of riding it would've probably incinerated into charcoal. =)

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have made a few out of Leather that have held up for a really long time. Any thickness will do, In a pinch I have made one from the tongue from an old pair of work boots! I still use that bike and it's been four years. ;)