Engine won't idle

GoldenMotor.com

Octo Ro

May 1, 2019
I just finished my bike yesterday and it works. It takes a sec to like start up but once I get going at a reasonable speed, it finally starts and runs. However, whenever I engage the clutch or stop the engine just tyrns off. I have the screw on the carb all the way in. I don't know why this is happening. Is it possibly because of the way the filter and fuel line are, and if so, how do i fix it? (will send a pic)

Attachments

Lance Cx

Jan 2, 2020
Why not run your fuel line across the top instead of under, I wouldn’t doubt that’s one of the reasons why you can’t idle. Also have you tuned your clutch properly?

Octo Ro

May 1, 2019
The filter doesn't fit if I put it over the top and I'm pretty sure clutch is good

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It looks like the carb is twisted to the right, it should sit up straight, if not the fuel bowl might not be filling properly.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ok that's good. The motors, when new, need some time to break in...the amount of riding time for this to occur varies. I've heard many say a couple of tanks of gas. I've had a couple of kit motors that took twice that long to loosen up and start to perform much better all around. Don't try for much speed during this normal process, when the motor frees up you will notice it.

In the meantime starting may be a little difficult, the performance sluggish and the bike may need a little help to idle...like yours is doing. Trying to "fix things" that aren't really broke during the break in period typically makes things worse. If you can ride it and it runs pretty much ok during break in be happy. Tweaking for best performance can begin after break in.

The carb you have is a SHA Dellorto clone. This is the carb I use on all my 2 cycle kit bikes, though I have an original on one of these bikes, it costs 5 times as much as the clone, I find the clones work quite well for the price. You said you have the idle screw turned all the way in, so I'd suggest you try adjusting the throttle cable with the adjustment nut on the cable located at the throttle. Which should increase the engine speed, same as you keeping the motor running by adding throttle when at stop. If this works remember as the motor breaks in you will need to back off on both the carb idle adjustment and the throttle cable adjustment as the engine starts to over rev at idle.

If this doesn't solve your problem, or if there is insufficient thread left for adding additional throttle movement, let us know 'cause there some other simple cable adjustments that can be made as well before assuming something about the carb etc. needs "fixing". These Dellorto clones are quite different than the carbs shipped with the kits and advice about setting them up is quite useless for the Dellorto.

Hope this is of help.

Rick C.

Reactions: Greg58