Engine ID Plate

GoldenMotor.com

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
So I know that many states have legislation that permits under 50cc but that sales of 66/70/80cc engines are still healthy. It seems rather common with the larger displacement that any factory identification stickers seem to "fall off" rather quickly. Perhaps it is the heat :).

I have heard about people being stopped by the local authorities and simply stating that the engine size is <50cc. Cops often ask if there is a decal, proof etc. Since my id tags fell off already, I decided to make a replacement. The plate is a simple dog tag from a pet store. While I don't promote fraudulent behavior, you can engrave the tag with whatever info you want. A thin coat of spray paint and a couple of rivets though the clutch actuator cover and it was done. Its not perfect but it does fit in with the theme of Chinese quality.

Here's the tag I made and an original tag from my "other" engine:
It's amazing that both of my engines were made on the same day.

Attachments

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
Gott in Himmel! Der camp eschcape comittee at stalag luft xviii haff a new eschcape vehicle id plate facsimile scam!!!

Only the Gestapo boys-might-do-some-harm-on-the-biketrack elite squad could ever see through this one!

engrave the date a bit out of line? or by hand? .... comrade .... um ....it was goebells that coined "the big lie" wasn't it?

the allies should be here soon what with "peak oil" .....i guess even the cop on the street knows it in his guts...

Last edited:

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Just to confirm, I'm not promoting any sense of forgery. I legitimately have 2 engines and one of the plates fell off. I didn't know the date of the 2nd so I just used the 1st. Everything was engraved at the same time on the machine but then again the machine is probably from China.

It occurred to me when doing this that you could put anything you want on the plate you wanted so I thought I would pass it along. Name, contact phone, engine displacement.....its up to you.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Last year Zoon started riveting metal tags with displacement which I simply drilled off. Now they come with a paper label stating 67cc. Even the 50cc one says that (guess they decided to average the number). I peel it off now.

I have a stamp set and was was considering making plates to put on.

Bseelbach, how much do those dog tags cost?

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Last year Zoon started riveting metal tags with displacement which I simply drilled off. Now they come with a paper label stating 67cc. Even the 50cc one says that (guess they decided to average the number). I peel it off now.

I have a stamp set and was was considering making plates to put on.

Bseelbach, how much do those dog tags cost?
In front of the wal-mart store (By the registers)I have seen the machines that have the dogtag vending machines that you just type in what you want it to say and it ingraves it and spits it out....I cant remember the price exactally,but it is only 3bucks or so....Thanks for the idea,im going to have to go make me one....
John-John

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
The tag was $7 at the pet store. You type what you want into the computer and machine engraves it on the spot. I have seen them in black but this store only had silver. I had to mist the plate with spray paint since the engraving will get filled in. Grubee's come with the plate but it is not riveted and is only held on with metal dowels which causes it to easily fall off. The dog tag comes with only one hole but a mirrored image drilled hole on the other end will match the pin spacing from the Grubee tag.

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
I made up one of these and was wondering what people thought of mounting it on the front motor mount there is defiantly space but I was wondering if there would be anything that would get damaged by making two shallow 1/8th inch holes and riviting it in place?? I was thinking right in the top area of the front motor mount where there is usually an engraved number. thanks for any input just want to know before I begin drilling