Engine dies when clutching.

GoldenMotor.com

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
Aloha fellow members! I need help figuring out why my 2 stroke engine won't idle. When coming to a stop, the motor would immediately stop when I apply the clutch and brake. It restarts with no problem and it happens after a cold start and while engine is warmed up.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you have adjusted idle screw up, then I'g guess your clutch is dragging a bit

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
huh, that looks a lot like the huffy 'moon dog' I ride

anyway, it never hurts to go thru the whole cable/clutch adjust procedure set out in hundreds of threads here

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
huh, that looks a lot like the huffy 'moon dog' I ride

anyway, it never hurts to go thru the whole cable/clutch adjust procedure set out in hundreds of threads here
It is a moondog, good eye. And thanks, I will go through the whole cable/clutch adjustment.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
excellent frame - motor fits so tight in there that vibration is reduced to a minimum

T james

Nov 6, 2017
Having same problem. Seems clutch keep slipping. But if flower nut tightened it doesn't engage engine. Doesn't seem to respond to idle screw. Have to screw it all the way in damn near to get a little idle out of it. Before shutting off after about a minute of idling.

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
I've tightened the flower nut, checked clutch and throttle cable play, and idle screw. Engine still won't idle. Dies out as soon as I stop throttling.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
When you ride it and pull clutch lever while rolling fast, does it also die? Also, if idle screw is all the way in, that usually means you are too rich and can drop the needle down one or two notches.

T james

Nov 6, 2017
No, just when coming to stop because engine was still engaged. Due to clutch cover plate missing a bolt. So cover plate would push away from motor. I also saw I'm missing spring behind clutch plate. So when I engage clutch. Flower nut does spring away from plate as it would with the tension from spring behind it.

Bottomfeeder

Mar 29, 2017
Honolulu
When you ride it and pull clutch lever while rolling fast, does it also die? Also, if idle screw is all the way in, that usually means you are too rich and can drop the needle down one or two notches.
Yes, as soon as I ease up on the throttle, the engine dies. Even while coasting speeds.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
OK, doesn't sound like any kind of drag in the drive train then, is your idle screw all the way in?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Having same problem. Seems clutch keep slipping. But if flower nut tightened it doesn't engage engine. Doesn't seem to respond to idle screw. Have to screw it all the way in damn near to get a little idle out of it. Before shutting off after about a minute of idling.
easy to make a spring for clutch out of some old spring lying around, or buy one cheap - if idle screw is all the way in, that usually means you are way too rich and dropping needle should help

T james

Nov 6, 2017
easy to make a spring for clutch out of some old spring lying around, or buy one cheap - if idle screw is all the way in, that usually means you are way too rich and dropping needle should help
Ok, I'll try that. But I really think its something internally going on with clutch itself. Because the cam shaft arm has to go in further and further before engaging the clutch. And when I loosen up flower nut 2 spaces or more. The plate doesn't catch the gear enough to move the drive gear. Its a hesitant start, but too much slipping to start. As soon as I tighten flower nut 1 more notch. It starts no problem. But is so tight the push pin barely pushes out the flower nut. And at this point the cam shaft arm is so far in (facing towards bicycle chain side) it has about a 1/4 inch of a gap. Between the piece that guides the wire to cam shaft arm.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
No, just when coming to stop because engine was still engaged. Due to clutch cover plate missing a bolt. So cover plate would push away from motor. I also saw I'm missing spring behind clutch plate. So when I engage clutch. Flower nut does spring away from plate as it would with the tension from spring behind it.
This is your problem, the missing bolt. You should keep your questions in the thread you started, it can get confusing for those trying to help.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Ok, I'll try that. But I really think its something internally going on with clutch itself. Because the cam shaft arm has to go in further and further before engaging the clutch. And when I loosen up flower nut 2 spaces or more. The plate doesn't catch the gear enough to move the drive gear. Its a hesitant start, but too much slipping to start. As soon as I tighten flower nut 1 more notch. It starts no problem. But is so tight the push pin barely pushes out the flower nut. And at this point the cam shaft arm is so far in (facing towards bicycle chain side) it has about a 1/4 inch of a gap. Between the piece that guides the wire to cam shaft arm.
In your case, I'd first put the outer pressure plate across my vise, put about a 17mm or so socket over the hole, and give it a good smack to bell it out a bit more under the flower nut - this can often give more clutch grab - if that doesn't do it, then read some threads about adjusting internal spring on clutch shaft

Reactions: Dan