Engine bogging

GoldenMotor.com

64Peerless

Mar 29, 2019
Hi all, so ive been tinkering with my bike a lot and ran into an issue. Whilst riding, ive noticed that my engine dont want to rev all the way out at WOT, with that being said i have a 32t sprocket, it runs fine at an idle and revs full WOT with clutch pulled in as though while riding i have to almost keep a constant pedal (flat ground ) I'm thinking i have too much compression loss but there are no leakage anywhere around the engine, I'm thinking about getting a moon expansion chamber soon to see if that helps, any idea's ? Ive also dropped the needle due to wet plug. 64Peerless~

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Hello and welcome!
A new Stock engine will not give you the best performance til after a hundred miles or so.
I would advise no modifications until the engine is well broke in. Anyway-- A lot depends on How much YOU weigh, and your riding environment (Hilly compared to flat ground) ... 32 t sprocket is by no means a torque friendly situation for a new motor. Good only for top end speed on flat ground which is good with a strong motor. I been through this a couple times and My exp. has proven - I weigh 155lbs / very hilly terrain - a 44T sprocket is best, although on my daily driver I run a rebel gear 40T. In a nutshell... That 32T sprocket may be too small. Just my opinion...
Others will chime in.
https://motorbicycling.com/media/th...use-i-was-experiencing-twitching-when-i.8254/

64Peerless

Mar 29, 2019
I agree with whats said albeit i have my engine on a 20 inch frame (; i had the 40t sprocket and was going nowhere fast, i changed my plug to a champion and did away with the stock plug socket to a better one, also on my last tank for break in, i tore the head and jug off and noticed my top ring was broken i have some on the way along with the moon chamber, with the plug change and plug cap change it has a far better spark and seems to be pulling better i weigh 140lbs over all i was able to pull around 25-26 mph according to the speedo app. I do believe i may have some back pressure issues due to the exhaust,

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I agree with whats said albeit i have my engine on a 20 inch frame (; i had the 40t sprocket and was going nowhere fast, i changed my plug to a champion and did away with the stock plug socket to a better one, also on my last tank for break in, i tore the head and jug off and noticed my top ring was broken i have some on the way along with the moon chamber, with the plug change and plug cap change it has a far better spark and seems to be pulling better i weigh 140lbs over all i was able to pull around 25-26 mph according to the speedo app. I do believe i may have some back pressure issues due to the exhaust,

All of this would've been real important information to tell us on your original post!!! (Don't you think)???

:-||:-||:-||

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Now I'm curious 64,
What are your hopes for this? Will you be going back and forth to work on it? Is this just for fun to use for quick trips to store?
Off Street use?
Racing?
I understand the enjoyment that comes with mechanical skills put to practice. It can be a therapy unto itself. I also understand we all are into this hobby for our own reasons.
Speaking for myself...I ride 14m a day to and from work, from April to Oct. or early Nov. Very short season here in central Maine. (keeping in mind I'm almost 60yrs old) 5 Gal of Gas go me on my bike all summer long. 5 Gal of Gas in my 09 v8 4wd Silverado last less than a full week. I been doing this since 2011, I can honestly say "I haven't had so much fun on a bike since I was 8 years old". I've built bikes for all 3 of my sons. and built and sold many more for others. Although a bike project can be considered done, they really never are due to the maintenance required to keep them safe and reliable.
It really is fun for me.
Once again-- most important is my bike is safe and reliable.
quiet enough so as not to cause undue aggravation @ early hrs am.
Conforms to Maine vehicle laws concerning what describes a Moped.
So whatever you decide for your purposes, Build it SAFE.
Good Luck.