electrocuted by the cdi?

GoldenMotor.com

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
hi, i have recently noticed that i am constantly electrocuted whenever i touch the handlebar or clutch lever.

I use jaguar cdi.
i don't know why this is happening... i think the spark is going through engine and to my handle bar???
but
i think the engine is made of aluminium and should not conduct the eletricity

the amount of electricution isn't a lot. i can bear it, but it zapps my hands and gets annoying
but the electrocuion isn't constant. after touching for few seconds it goes away and if i touch it again few minutes later and i get electrocuted for about couple seconds again.

does it have something to do with white wire maybe???
i actually took out the entire white wire from magneto since i don't use it.
i hope it is ok.

anyone experiencing the samething as i do?
any ideas?

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Aluminum conducts pretty darned well. What's the condition of your wiring? All wrapped up nice? Or do you have the connectors exposed?

The whit wire should be okay, but how do you have it cut? Could the end be grounding out on the frame or something?

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
I think maybe I have wire touching somewhere inside the engine, when i soldered bigger wire(16gauge) onto magneto. yesterday I resoldered wires on the magneto and it is fine now I think at least I haven't gotten electrocuted today.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Good that you've cleared up the problem.

I think you've been shocked, but not electrocuted.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
I think that electrocuting made my CDI damaged.
eversince when the electrocuting started the CDI started acting wierd.

the motor will start easily, but idle will die often.

If the motor temperature reaches 250F, then the idle will be fine.

This never happend before. and also throttle won't be smooth when engine is at low temperature. it will be bogging on and off and idle will die and stuff.
basically hot engine temperature is keeping my engine running.
I think the electricity running through my bike frame some how damaged the CDI.
I have no idea which components is damaged.
I don't have a lot of knowledge about electronics.
By the way my CDI is Jaguar CDI which costed me $80 and it is hurting to see my CDI damaged.
I hope i know how to fix my CDI

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A weak spark can do that and also a very rich carb tune will act like that. The fuel heavy intake charge has a hard time vaporizing until the engine gets hot enough to do it thermally.
Have you tried a different spark plug? That would be the cheapest thing to try.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
i have checked my spark plug is fine its ngk.
and my jet is good condition carburetor setting is all done.
somehow electric current ran through the magneto cover and damaged my CDI.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It definitely sounds like the CDI then. Perhaps one of the electronic gurus on this site could suggest where to start diagnosing the CDI box? From what I know about the Jaguar box, all the internals are easily replaceable individually. Also, electronics can be very heat sensitive and I bet that when it warms up it works good for you. It has become cold blooded.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
I finally figured out what was wrong with my bike.
It was the SPARK PLUG!!!
the TRUSTED NGK B7HS spark plug was defective!!!
the spark plug must have had small crack at the porceline part which made the spark run though the entire bicycle frame.
as soon as i changed the spark plug, it idles fine, revs fine like it should be!
I could never imagine that a bad spark plug could electrocute you at your finger tips!
shame on you NGK, the Trusted Japanese brand failed me big time!!!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations on your diagnosis and repair!
Any product can fail, whether or not it is the "best" or "worst" available.
If the porcelain center insulator was in fact cracked, that usually happens during transit or some clumsy employee in the store dropped it on the floor. The flimsy cardboard box offers very little protection. I would not blame it on NGK.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations on your diagnosis and repair!
Any product can fail, whether or not it is the "best" or "worst" available.
If the porcelain center insulator was in fact cracked, that usually happens during transit or some clumsy employee in the store dropped it on the floor. The flimsy cardboard box offers very little protection. I would not blame it on NGK.
Using the wrong tool to tighten the plug could also be responsible for cracked porcelain. Pliers, vicegrips and pipe wrenches are not the right tools.

Tom