Electric generator

GoldenMotor.com

Terminator84

Nov 3, 2019
Hi i am posting this thread so i can help more enthusiasts i tried to make an electric bike system because i drive a lot in the evening and with a regular lantern i don't see much and i have to change batteries often so i decided to use the engine to drive a bike dynamo 6 volt 3 watt I welded two washers to fit the belt into the wheel of the dynamo and two more at the crankshaft outlet on the magnet side I think it worked out well I idled it giving about 5 volts and with slightly fed gas it reached 10 volts to 1 amp no p is feeling a lot of power loss when starting cut a hole in the lid and the lid itself in half to get the washer not to interfere with the lid of the dynamo itself I made a stand of sheet metal and hung it on the side of the bolts holding the crankcase in place of bolts I twisted two studs I think it worked out well!

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Great idea. That is especially helpful in the winter, when you need a headlight going both to and from work.

Terminator84

Nov 3, 2019
Hello, I have not completed the bike yet but when I finish it I will upload a video of how I made the whole electrical system!

Taffy13

Sep 23, 2019
Nice job man, it actually looks like an old motorcycle engine with a generator on it. I've also seen people run it off the back wheel( running a small wheel on the sidewall of the tire) and also mounting it to the seat tube and using it as a tensioner for the drive chain. Both of these would need the bike in motion to make enegry..

Terminator84

Nov 3, 2019
Yes, I thought I would mount it on the hood, but it won't charge in place, and it works like it does with cars when the engine and generator are turned on.

Taffy13

Sep 23, 2019
Mhm, do you run the lights directly off of it or are you using the generator to charge a battery?

Terminator84

Nov 3, 2019
The generator itself does not have enough power to directly load the headlamp load the front is 600 lumens 15 watts and the rear is 6 watts without any battery will not become charged. 5 to 9 volts depending on how much gas you supply and only 1 amp.

Reactions: Taffy13