Electric 2

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
they are a blast mike. that is for sure. i just got home from riding mine and total smiles. its so nice not to have to work on bike every day. only thing to do is charge and play and of course buy toys and customize the bicycle itself :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I am convinced the MP3 is the way to go with 700C wheels. Motor is heavy, but it is the hub and low on the bike and it is direct drive, so no noisey, lossey transmission.

The battery needs to be low too. Needs to be in the frame and as low as possible.

Now that would be the perfect ebike - :)

Should end up looking like one of those Puch mopeds with the battery where the motor used to be.

That will be one for the future - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
that is the reason i would like to learn to make my own battery. my thought is to make one that looks like a wedge that would mount behind front wheel to the frame. dreaming for now but it may happen, i think it would make a huge difference on the way the bike handles

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am thinking i want the battery's low and as close to front of the bike as possible.behind the front wheel i think would be perfect. i imagine i could use the bottle cage screws to help secure the battery case

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I wouldn't trust those brazeons to support anything heavier than a water bottle.

I wouldn't want anything less than 750 watt-hours with 1 KWH preferred.

That's going to be 15 to 25 lbs.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
GPS'ed at 29.3 woo-hoo.

Yup, all the faster I'd ever want to go on a bike.

These pies are pretty consistant.

20 on a 20', 26 on a 26" and 29 on a 29"

No tuck either, sitting straight up enjoy'in the breeze - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
nice mike. i know i am adding up the miles and barleyawake probably has close to 2,000 miles on his. only work i do is on my bike itself like music and important stuff lol

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
This may be the best start I've seen so far.

http://www.republicbike.com/build_socrates.asp

I'm going to inquire about dropout spacing.

Just look at all that inframe room with thick tubes to support a heavy battery.
AHA! Another cycle truck lover! EDIT! Found this in the fine print. "Gearing (3-speed): Shimano Nexus 3-speed internal hub, 33T chainwheel, 18T freewheel" So whats that 135mm??? Nice for some...

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yes, I have done zero maintainence on my e-bikes. I just squeeze the tires before I get on. No vibration means fasteners do not loosen.

Oh yeah, e-bikes rock in that regard.

When I had the lid off the battery I saw the internals. The BMS was just inside the cover and there are 16 individual cells with top screw terminals all strapped together with metal bars in a series connection. I know the dimensions of the individual cells.

I'm gonna cut me up 16 blocks of wood and start playing with how I could put them in the frame. Frame is steel, so I can braze on tabs for mounts. Fun project for the rainey days coming.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
nah pretty much past us and got ugly when it got to peurto rico. season not done yet though. thing with a huricane here they last a day and the weather is beautiful again. i was in a cat 3 a few years back omar and it reminded me of a blizzard in michigan. they knew what to do and it was cleaned up fast. condo i am in has a big generator so it really wasn't that bad. i have still not ridden bike in the rain

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Added some angle

That big battery wieghs 25 lbs and I can feel the sway when riding, so I deceided to stiffen it up. Ran some angle across the struts and secured to the welded brake posts.

It's a lot stiffer now - :)

Also secured the control cable with another bit of angle.

Still need to do the basket, cruise control and lights.

That yellow AC receptacle you see is my key switch. It's wired in series from the battery to the controller. The "key" is just a plug with some 14g solid copper shorting it out.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mike it is had to see but what did you use for clamps to clamp to the frame of bicycle? i am dreaming how to mount battery in the frame. thank you in advance. i don't know about you but these electric bikes is all i think about lol

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Got a basket and a lock installed. Wald 198 looks like it was made for the bike. Added another strap to the batt, more security.

Since I had a basket and a lock, I went for a beer run - :)

Stopped by the local bike shop to show the guys their handiwork (they laced the wheel) and they loved it. A customer was there too and he was all questions. I had all the answers.

Proceeded to the store for a six pack and some smokes and couldn't go home. A 4 mile errand turned into a 10 mile joy ride. And joy it was. I just love this bike. I love that the air rushes through the helmet at 25 and cools my head. I love the looks of people wondering "what was that" as I whizz by silently. Ebikes rock!

Need to wait for the headlight to come in before I can button this up. Going to do another junction box but I need to see how big the driver board is before I get the box. Am using another SBP switch for cruise control instead of the clunky factory switch.

The speedo is set perfect. Just entered the cm equivilent of 29 inches *pi and the max speed on the computer was 29.5. Max speed GPS was 29.3. Close enough.

The stiffer batt rack solved all my sway problems. If I could just step through this frame it would be perfect.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Done!

Remember about those details...

The first one was that ride I took with the 6 pack in the basket. The bouncing and the weight caused the basket to rotate on the top hinge. The nice thing about this basket is its ability to fit any bike well, but the hinged top bracket can move. Unless you stop it from moving.

Added a piece of angle under the basket brackets and a strut attached to the fork brake mount hole. Used the brake hardware with the nice dished washers to make it nice and rigid. That basket ain't gonna move if I load 30 pounds in it. Good thing too, 'cause that's where the headlight is mounted.

The headlight had a nice big internal cavity with the over temp sensor in it. It also had some real flimsey screw mounts in it, so I put a couple of #8 machine screws in there and filled the whole thing up with epoxy. That sucker ain't goin nowhere. Which leads us to the tailight.

Did another custom, 26 red wide angle LED's in series on a perf-board potted with epoxy into a routed pocket in oak. This required a 68 ohm resistor to keep current at 15 mA at 54 volts. Which is located in the junction box that also holds the constant current regulator for the headlight.

The nerve center. This little box is stuffed. Headlight regulator, fuse holder, connections for the SBP cruise control switch and voltmeter connection and headlight/taillight. And it all works great.

We be cruisin', looking forward to a night ride tonight!