eho35 and others.. Does the clutch go bad often?

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I wondered how many clutches I would go through in an urban setting over a year or two? Still plotting my engine purchase. Also is Staton the best source for new motors out there? I would rather pay less than 200 but if that is the going rate I guess I will stick for a new one.

.flg.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I bought the kit from bikemotorparts.. I am willing to accept suggestions as personal messages for the other. I would probably use thread lock to keep bolts from loosening if possible. Also for the clutch.. I will be towing 300 pound loads from time to time and probably using a 7/8 drive pin.

Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Good luck.

If you use the clutch as intended, it will last virtually forever....if you plan on using it like a motorcycle, or automotive clutch, it won't last quite that long. Can't comment on how it would do pulling you, a bike, and 300 extra pounds, it may slip.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I bought the kit from bikemotorparts.. I am willing to accept suggestions as personal messages for the other. I would probably use thread lock to keep bolts from loosening if possible. Also for the clutch.. I will be towing 300 pound loads from time to time and probably using a 7/8 drive pin.
Thanks
The Robin clutch is fine and should offer miles of service.....under normal use.

When you say towing 300 lbs do you mean in addition to bike and rider weight?
Because if you do I would not consider that normal use, that is a load. I don't know what type terrain you're going to cover but besides needing some phenomenal brakes you might find a 35cc a bit underpowered.
I have that same setup and for me at 190 lbs plus bike, no other load, I have to pedal to get rolling to 10 mph not to really bog and labor the engine.

The Honda GHX50 has a 3 shoe clutch and obviously more power.

Another substantial issue with such a load besides the clutch slipping will be the spindle slipping on the tire.

BTW, with the drive you mentioned, I'm curious how ya going to get a 7/8" spindle when the smallest they now have is 1"?

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
The Robin clutch is fine and should offer miles of service.....under normal use.

When you say towing 300 lbs do you mean in addition to bike and rider weight?
Because if you do I would not consider that normal use, that is a load. I don't know what type terrain you're going to cover but besides needing some phenomenal brakes you might find a 35cc a bit underpowered.
I have that same setup and for me at 190 lbs plus bike, no other load, I have to pedal to get rolling to 10 mph not to really bog and labor the engine.

The Honda GHX50 has a 3 shoe clutch and obviously more power.

Another substantial issue with such a load besides the clutch slipping will be the spindle slipping on the tire.

BTW, with the drive you mentioned, I'm curious how ya going to get a 7/8" spindle when the smallest they now have is 1"?
I believe but am not positive staton offered a 7/8. The place I purchased from does not. I am going to get a 1.5 and a 1" for starts. I am planning on going slowly in increments with the weights and will go front and rear if I have to. an empty trailer I can personally pull pretty fast and I have pulled a washing machine full size with a stainless drum, and 200 pounds of misc on a trailer this past summer with 1 or two flats. I found that tires want to go flat or look flat under such pressure.. Finally my derailer cracked off the aluminum frame (of all things)!!! I can still tow with the Gary Fisher but must attempt an aluminum repair of the derailer and do an overhaul of the entire bike first. Looks loke the GHX50 is a top contender at the moment. I like this forum a lot and plan on showiing you what a bike can do for people when your down and out and innovated. I won't be down and out for long. I might be the new UPS in town!

Thanks for the tip!!

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Good luck.

If you use the clutch as intended, it will last virtually forever....if you plan on using it like a motorcycle, or automotive clutch, it won't last quite that long. Can't comment on how it would do pulling you, a bike, and 300 extra pounds, it may slip.
Thanks Joe! I think I might end up with dual engines or some kind of funky trailer invention. I will keep everyone posted this spring and summer. I want one of those video head sets like bear grillis? has or survivorman!! I swear I see some strange stuff riding on black ice these days.

.sno.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I believe but am not positive staton offered a 7/8. The place I purchased from does not.
Correct but they are not interchangeable, I have both. Also the bikemotor parts kit has seriously lessened the build quality now, it was machined, extruded aluminum and now has been cheapened to thin steel plate.

You can tow what you like. Bicycles are used to pull loads all throughout the third world and have been doing so for years. A human rider is able to generate far more torque starting a load than any compact bike engine ever could. Just don't expect some 35-50cc gas engine that peaks torque at 5000 rpm to be a diesel tractor.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hi Happy Valley, Some of these guys trying to get a John Deer quality hp from a little, almost toy like engine to do heavy duty chores. The components in my opinion, are just not that industrial, to allow day after day hauling of rider and goods on all types of roads and grades. My experience has been that running a 40T with an 80cc at 20 mph when approaching an small incline the bikes speed drops of immediately my weight being 185lbs. Does this sound as though it would have any chance of real pulling power from a dead stop. You have to put at the very least a 50T sprocket to engage in this farmer like hauling set up of 300lbs.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I was hoping for a dual engine (when needed) rig that are friction drive and at least 35cc on each. I am still wondering if I must sync the motors (which is impossible for me) or not. I think they would do alright.. Maybe share a fuel line or dual tanks. Whatever I end up doing I hope it works ok. Thanks for the reply.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Roadkill, if you have access to a lathe you could machine the outer edge of the Staton clutch drum a fraction of an inch to gain more clutch surface engagement.

I bought the clutch drum,shaft, spacers, collars and 1.375" spindle from bikeparts.com. I intend to retrofit it onto my Staton friction drive because the roller has a one-way bearing to reduce resistance drag. Also changing from 1.25" to 1.375" at the same time.

I'll also use these 1/2" ID bearings/shaft/collars to convert Staton friction assembly to gearchain drive, but that's a future project..cptr.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I believe the Robin/Subaru engines have "John Deere" quality. I have a 1.6hp 35cc R/S that served well on my first MB. I also have a new 6hp overhead cam Robin engine($105 ebay) being installed on my B.O.B. trailer.

Roadkill, don't use 1.5" roller; it's made for mid-high speed and low/midrange will suffer.

The absolute best pulling/towing solution would be Staton/NuVinci chain drive and eho35 engine. Unsure if you can afford it and handle the installation.

Find an EXTRACYCLE assembly; this is EXACTLY what you NEED, with or without engine.

For your application you need ALL low end power/torque with max speed 15mph. This will allow you to EASILY pull 300 pounds uphill with 7-speed pedal assist.

Get the biggest tires you can afford. If using rear friction drive, use knobby tire in the front, not in the rear.

If NuVinci is not affordable and you already have the bikeparts.com friction drive assembly, maybe I can talk you into converting your friction drive components to chain drive?.bld.

Since hauling heavy stuff usually begins or ends up in muddly, grassy or gravelly roads, methinks friction drive would not be a reliable power train.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I am rolling.. A 6HP in a BOB.. That can be so well hidden!! I bet you could haul yourself on 1-80 with that. I imagine a nice smooth ride and the muffler possibilities are sweet as well. Oh yeah... I know about the Rollers.. I am getting a 1" and a 1.25 for me alone with sack on back!

I am willing to concert to whatever works best. I just prefer quick fix stuff. I am considering belt drive. Is that good for powertrain apps? Chain drive would be sweet as well.. Remember to keep a motor "running" on the front tire or just in neutral if that is possible to "look" like the trailer is pulling and not pushing!

Any example links of powertrain stuff would be good here.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I need the girl yes.. But the bike is also very nice... hmmmm I am itchin to show a few pix off now... My derailer cracked off on my trek tassajara and it should have been named cyclops. I used to make runs for food for bands like cheap trick filling rider orders in chicago at a club called Metro back in 99' on my second trailer rig I called "The Coffin" My first one was a mini steel grocery cart that I gace away to a kid that was trying to steal it... The greatest place to see a band in the city for sound is Metro... Empty Bottle and the usual bike gang stops are great as well. I am all immature now and want actual chain saw blades spinning while I ride!!!!

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I like the chain drive like that.. who sells a kit like that? I am looking to get a couple rigs so if I get stuck with one it's better than getting stuck with none.. I thank you for linking stuff. I better get some sleep though.. Should have my friction kit on Saturday or Monday. I will probably get a chain drive as well. I do love to weld and might make something crazy in 5 years. I might be able to sell these for 500 bucks at the flea market as well. But then the whole theft thing kicks in... Gotta watch out now.. Later