Easier clutch

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
My clutch lever is pretty stiff to pull. It's the stock one so it's flimsy enough already, I feel like I'll break it sooner or later.

1. Is there a way to make the clutch lever easier to pull? (springs, oil, etc.)
2. Who sells a good replacement lever, I guess I could use one from a brake but I like the locking pin that comes with the stock one

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can use a regular bicycle brake lever.

However....
Here's a little work for a big pay off.

Remove the cable from the sheath and lube it with motor oil.

Before you put it all back together make sure you have the big spring on the outside of the cable sheath where it goes around the engine - it's a heat sheild, not a spring.

If you had it on before, delete the small spring, it's good for nothing more than making the clutch lever harder to pull. The internal spring is all you need.
Dab a little grease inside the case where the pivot point for the clutch arm is, if you remove the cover to do this, don't lose the rod and ball that go inside the sprocket!

Route your cable sheath so there are no sharp bends, and don't fasten it down too tight.

Finally, where the sheath mounts to the adjuster at the engine end, loosen the whole works there, and make sure the cable points toward the clutch arm in a straight run from the adjuster to the arm, and, that the adjuster is of even height with the arm. (or as much as possible, some won't come out that far without being too close to coming all the way out).

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Don't throw the little spring away as you need it when you use the clutch actuator from Creative Engineering! Believe it or not this little spring is what makes it all work. Sorry there GV don't mean to contradict! Happy Trails Walter F.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't throw the little spring away as you need it when you use the clutch actuator from Creative Engineering! Believe it or not this little spring is what makes it all work. Sorry there GV don't mean to contradict! Happy Trails Walter F.

Yes, don't throw it away of you plan on buying one of those.
What is that Walter? Link?

I can pull my clutch lever with two fingers.