Does The 2 Stroke Motorized Bike Spew Blue Smoke

GoldenMotor.com

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Since I ride alone I always wondered if at 30 to 1 mixture, does my 2 stroke motorized bike leave a trail of blue smoke. Ever since I discovered motorized bicycles I saw them as a fun set of wheels for old guys who will eventually loose their drivers license. From the outset I realized that it would have to be a hybrid powered (pedal, electric and gas) so that it would be tolerable to others when using trails and bike lanes. One of my concerns is the smoke they emit. I have settled on a 30 to 1 mix in an effort to fit in as much as possible. So to answer this question for myself I changed the position of my action camera to the back of my helmet and get results for various throttle positions (starting from pedal power, hill climbing and pedal assist cruising). Always loved motor bikes (what we called motorcycles in my day) but was never interested in how fast they could go. The same holds true for my love for motorized bicycles; I know first hand that they can go much faster than I ever want to go on a bike. I am amazed at just how far they will go on a cup full of fuel and I am totally convince they are really way more environmentally friendly than e-bikes that require massive lithium batteries to travel 10-15 kilometers on a charge.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can control how smokey the exhaust looks by changing the fuel/oil ratio. if you run 40:1, its not very smokey.

Reactions: Davideo

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
You can control how smokey the exhaust looks by changing the fuel/oil ratio. if you run 40:1, its not very smokey.
Thanks Bender, I found no evidence that my engine was producing visible smoke at my mix. Possibly it was about 40:1 not 30:1 as I stated in the video. I have a small bottle for mixing with 5 liters of gas to give 50: 1 mix and then I add a little more for safety.

Corson1183

Apr 5, 2021
Norridgewock, ME
Thanks Bender, I found no evidence that my engine was producing visible smoke at my mix. Possibly it was about 40:1 not 30:1 as I stated in the video. I have a small bottle for mixing with 5 liters of gas to give 50: 1 mix and then I add a little more for safety.
don't listen to people saying it's ok to be a little rich because since I got my engine I followed that and it completely screwed up my engine I know have spark knock that I can't get rid of because the carbon chewed a divot into my cylinder head so even if I clean it it will just get back in there and creates a problem again. I also did an entire engine clean and the amount of crap that was in the bottom of the engine was crazy I scooped at least half a cup of oily sludge out of my 2-year-old engine.

since then I have been running it at 40:1 and I gained power and there is less smoke so try running it a little leaner and don't add any more than u need to, if u don't feel comfortable with running it at 40:1 then try 32:1 u should notice a difference.