Didn't know my bike used to be motorized?

GoldenMotor.com

Transadactyl

Nov 30, 2020
So, in searching for my dad's old bicycle that we had very little information on, I found some threads here that I believe confirm what my bike should be. I have a Maruuchi Japanese bicycle, but that's all far as I got. The closest thing I could find was Marushi, which may be another English translation of the same manufacturer. However, I thought at some point in my bike's past, someone damaged the front sprocket and just used what they had on hand, which was a double sprocket. It made no sense to me since it has no derailleur, that's what led me to believe it was just repaired with what they had. However, seeing all the Maruuchi bikes here, I'm thinking that second sprocket was what the motor used. This is a cool discovery!!! Unfortunately my bike is just a bicycle at this point, with nothing really left to make it motorized. While I do want to give it a decent (not original) restoration that's within my means, I don't know how much motorizing it again would cost, and if I should use original parts. That back kickstand makes so much more sense now though. I'll post the few pictures I have of it and I hope some people here can give me some hopefully positive opinions and constructive criticism! I figure in it's condition, it's still not really worth very much, so my "restoration" shouldn't be too terrible for it. Looking forward to what this may have in store for me :)

Attachments

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Bike is Vintage
I doubt your bike was ever motorized. The rear drop kick stand was common.
Looks to me like someone changed the rear wheel and made it a single speed.
Rear wheel looks newer than the rest of the bike. Same with the fender braces
Looks like the handle bars are chrome and have been painted
The patina matches the front sprocket so it might of been a 10 speed?
Usually these bikes were a Shamano 3 speed internal hub
Yes you are correct, it has been worked on and fixed to work again

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
2 sprockets in front, maybe, but don't think the rear wheel has been changed as it has a band or drum brake on it. Think it would be a good one for antique bike exchange, or eBay no dought it will bring enough money to fund a complete build .............Curt

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
1955- 1959 Maruuchi made motorbikes and mopeds besides bicycles
I do think your bike is from 55 -59 and your bike is a lady's bike

What's Cool about your bike is that it has push rod lever brakes.
Brakes are operated by rods not cables.

Obviously someone had changed the wheels and front sprocket.
No way the wheels would look that good after 65 years
The wheels looks fairly new. Band brakes are still used today on modern bikes

I like old bicycles and yours got my interest. Great conversation piece.

You weren't kidding, pic are hard to find of your bike. I couldn't find a pic of your bike.
I saw other old Japanese bikes close to what you have but not a Maruuchi

Here's some pics of Maruuchi Motorbikes and Mopeds 55-59

I tried but I couldn't get the web site to pop up so I took some pic for ya

DSCF3212.JPG
DSCF3213.JPG
DSCF3214.JPG
DSCF3215.JPG
DSCF3216.JPG
DSCF3218.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Transadactyl

Transadactyl

Nov 30, 2020
"Got it at a flea market back in early 80's. Guy didn't know anything about it. It needed new tires and couldn't get them in USA. A bike shop said that size was Chinese so the bike may be too. Or who knows. This was long before the internet. So I had to put new spokes on the hub to fit a new USA rim. Spokes need adjustment to make the rim straighter. Got tired of screwing with it. "

Finally heard back from my Dad. So it sounds like just the rims and spokes are newer. I do know that the front rim is not the right size as the brake pads land on the tire and not the rim. Considering what had to be changed to fit a US sized tire of the day, I'm guessing these actually are rim brakes

Transadactyl

Nov 30, 2020
Found this post by Ludwig II in a different area here, and I do believe this shows a motorized version of my exact same make/model of bike. So either they added a motor to theirs, changed their front sprocket or mine was changed. I'm not too sure. Interesting to find out though. I can imagine, especially if it's a women's bike, that perhaps it had a small power motor that was more like a pedal assist than being motorized like others of the day? Based on pictures of other Maruuchis, mine does appear to have the original crank arms and pedals, and the style of sprockets seems the same. So perhaps it was a different model of power than we can find pictures of? Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part? :)

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like the rod actuated brakes. Cable operated brakes soon become useless when you live close to salt water (unless you can keep the bike in doors).