"Denver Area Ride VI"

GoldenMotor.com

NashOpel

Jul 10, 2009
Arvada,CO
Tom that's funny. His music is not allowed which was the issue for me with the uploading problems.
Frank I have a couple of smaller video cams that are ment for my small planes which I forgot to bring.

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Well we'll see how the weather starts off this winter, but I think we can squeeze one more cruise in before the end of the year. There should be a 60`+ Saturday day in November or December. What you guys think??

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Hey! I'm new to all this and don't even have an engine yet but I was linked to this thread and happen to be in Boulder so I was thinking maybe I could join you guys next time :D I'm still looking through a lot of things to find exactly how I want to do it. But more on that in my billion question thread :p
I hope to join you guys for the next ride!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We just keep growing. Good to have you with us, Rocky. Welcome to the D.A.R. That's the unofficial name of our little group. Denver Area Riders. We keep tossing around ideas for a better name but so far we just refer to ourselves as D.A.R. Any Ideas?

Don't know if I'll make it to the next ride or not. The weather is so darn iffy this time of year. 75 one day and 25 the next. Even one day can be hard to dress for. 35 in the morning and 60 by afternoon.

I'd still like to get the guys down south and do the trails along C-470 and around the southwest area. Just an idea. These trails where I ride aren't as tree lined or curvy as those we do up north and no switchbacks but the scenery is good. Whatever.

Tom

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I'm not very familiar with the Denver area and its paths but there's some fantastic area's in Boulder on the flatirons. I'm not entirely sure how well these engines can push up the trails though, Hopefully pretty well as I am just dying to get a ton of torque and fly up the mountain (atleast faster than it would be pedaling)

If you're bored, I could use some help. I have these two threads but the new one is probably better located.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rocky,
The larger the rear sprocket, the better your hill climbing ability. If you want to climb then stay large, 44 or 48T rear sprocket. You'll sacrifice your top end speed but you probably won't be doing much pedaling uphill. If your terrain is very steep then you can even go bigger. I've seen a 56T sprocket. Top speed was only about 25mph, but the thing would climb trees :)

The bike you linked might be a tight squeeze for an in-frame 2 stroke engine but you can always go the 4 stroke, rack mount route. Do some research and reading before you buy. There are pros and cons to both the 2 and 4 stroke engine kits.

Tom

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
That sounds perfect :) I'm doing a lot of research before buying anything. Having a lot of difficulties finding a mountain bike with a good sized frame though on craigslist (Gotta keep final price below 500 bucks but I do want a mountain bike). I assume the 24"-26" requirement listed on the pistonbikes.com kits means a 24"-26" frame.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
they are most likely refferencing the wheel size...a 24-26" frame would be huge...17" frame is about the smallest frame i would try to stuff a motor into (stuff is right) i find 19" frames are the optimum that i see...hope this helps...oh and btw...you can find a worthy bike at a pawn shop faster then craigs...welcome to the forum...and hope to see you on a ride soon!

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Aaah ok makes much more sense now :)
I hope it's okay that I am posting this stuff in this thread? I'm just very excited about it and am rather eager to learn all that I can.

***** 2010 GT AVALANCHE 2.0 ALL DISC BRAKES MOUNTAIN BIKE *****
(I'll check out my local pawn shop tomorrow)
I just figure it would be good to get a strong bike than some unknown brand from some place.. Although I wouldn't mind savin a hundred bucks that's for sure. ah.

I'd very much like to get that bike. It's a great size for me and it looks like there is plenty of room in the middle of it for one of the kits from pistonbikes.com
My biggest concern is figuring out the whole rear disc brake situation.. I've looked around and seen that it can be done but as far as I could tell a lot of people fabricated their own things to do it. I only happen to have hand tools like wrenches and the sort. Do you think it is a bad idea to get one with a rear disc brake then?

The 2nd being that the bike will have to be left outside all the time. I'm hoping the weather wouldn't destroy it so long as I keep things lubricated. I commute to class everyday whether it is snowing or raining on my current bike.

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
ok 2 flag that came up for me....those tubes are wide...like wide ..adapters and such will be needed...and the brakes....the suply of v brake plates dried up recently and dont know when more will be available. keep in mind steel is better for mab's but with your situation an al one may be better...generally the al frames fail sooner then steel ones...(crack etc)..tend to vibrate worse...but are still viable dont want to discourage ya just a friendly heads up....also thats dax is in littleton co a little bit more expensive but have your stuff in days...and his 2 strokes come with an oversize tube adapter

F-rod pulled off dual disc with no fancy adapter...he may be able to shed some light on that as well

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Ah.. man. I kindu liked the wide tires, more traction. Maybe more rolling resistance but I am fine with that. I didn't really understand the sentence about have my stuff in days. Is dax a person on the forums here?

I saw his build with the disc brakes. It looks great but the sprocket won't have quite the torque I'm hoping for and I don't think a bigger one will fit.

Gotta say, this is quite discouraging.. heh. Maybe I ought to buy the kit and see if it'll fit on my current bike. It's just not exactly in the best of shape and doesn't fit me. About 10.5" up. 20" across. and 21.5" on the hypotenuse of the frame. Those disc brakes look so wonderful though..

Anyway, I do feel like I am hijacking this thread. If possible could we continue this conversation in this thead? http://motorbicycling.com/f31/66c-enough-mountenous-terrain-35241.html

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
That sounds perfect :) I'm doing a lot of research before buying anything. Having a lot of difficulties finding a mountain bike with a good sized frame though on craigslist (Gotta keep final price below 500 bucks but I do want a mountain bike). I assume the 24"-26" requirement listed on the pistonbikes.com kits means a 24"-26" frame.
No, the 24" or 26" is the wheel size that they are talking about. 26'' wheels will aid in a better speed ratio. You need to have at least an 18" frame for everything to fit properly, without having to alter anything. I'm sure you can find what your looking for on CL.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i ment that you can get your parts in days from ordering them...instead of the typical weeks...simply because dax...thatsdax.com is really really close

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
if weather cooperates...im totally down matt...oh and a quick question...how do your flames work in the snow? im kinda skeered to take the quick bricks in the snow...but i can probably throw on some knobs if needed dnut

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I miss summer ;-( and bike riding.

Maybe I should get off my donkey and restore a 25+ year old Chrysler Snorunner so I can ride it in the winter.