Damaged cdi??

GoldenMotor.com

Jason Lemons

Sep 10, 2018
Motor has been running fine for a month. Replaced clutch pads and installed back sprocket adapter. In the process I disconnected the cdi to reroute wires. When I reconnected it I hooked blue to black and black to blue. I noticed the problem after trying to start 2 times. Switched the wires back the right way. Now the bike doesn't run right at all. Idles fine but when I try to rev it bogs down and dies. Switched plug and adjusted carb to run leaner but only helped a little. It will idle put appears to flood when I try to rev it up. Any chance I damaged the cdi??

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
guys come into shop often with wires backwards - never seen it hurt CDI - OTOH, CDIs go bad a lot for no reason, but usually don't spark at all

Jason Lemons

Sep 10, 2018
I have the speed brand carb. Could something just have suddenly gone wrong with it? I'm at a loss now. I use this bike to get to work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
certainly doesn't sound like ignition problem - I always do a compression check first, but for this I'd also check if muffler got blocked, if clutch is dragging a bit, or if carb jet is blocked

Reactions: Dan

Eric Matson

Oct 13, 2018
Motor has been running fine for a month. Replaced clutch pads and installed back sprocket adapter. In the process I disconnected the cdi to reroute wires. When I reconnected it I hooked blue to black and black to blue. I noticed the problem after trying to start 2 times. Switched the wires back the right way. Now the bike doesn't run right at all. Idles fine but when I try to rev it bogs down and dies. Switched plug and adjusted carb to run leaner but only helped a little. It will idle put appears to flood when I try to rev it up. Any chance I damaged the cdi??
Check the fuel fuel bowl the main jet is extremely small and it doesn't take much to plug it