Dad traumatized from motorbike accident

GoldenMotor.com

cutecuddle

Nov 2, 2017
My dad used to be a motorbike fanatic and I loved that he was, not only because we bond together because of this, but also because bikes kept him busy - and healthy.

After falling from his bike during a trail, he wouldn't touch his bike anymore! I would like him to be safe as much as possible but I would not want him to give up on his favorite hobby. Please enlighten me.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Time...i got hit by a car! (25mph) up onto the hood, back down to the pavement, still astride the bike. Dont recall any of it! Try as I might. Cracked rib and ankle cut,sore as all ****. Thought id never be the same.(65yr old). After complete healing 4 months..i finally finished the build I was working on at the time. And just this week rode up and down the block. Then around the block. Sooo maybe might ride again like I once did.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not everything is safe - was horrified to see bull riders wearing helmets

just shows equipment is out there for them as feels a need for it - pads & headgear for every occasion

cutecuddle

Nov 2, 2017
Time...i got hit by a car! (25mph) up onto the hood, back down to the pavement, still astride the bike. Dont recall any of it! Try as I might. Cracked rib and ankle cut,sore as all ****. Thought id never be the same.(65yr old). After complete healing 4 months..i finally finished the build I was working on at the time. And just this week rode up and down the block. Then around the block. Sooo maybe might ride again like I once did.
Nice one! I wish my dad would do the same soon.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

cutecuddle

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, you're both right. Safety should be number one. And yes, his accident should not hinder him from doing what he loves, although he should be wary next time, not take a chance on being too carefree. I encouraged him to go to therapy to help speed up his recovery physically and mentally. I want my dad to be safe but I also want him up and moving and doing what he's always been good at and that's biking. Thanks for your replies! :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
One way is to find a bike that's "non threatening" and innocently ask him to check it out up and down the road for you ;)

hurtnesnuckle

Nov 2, 2017
He's maybe traumatized after a fall but eventually he will ride again because that's what makes him happy. I know he will learn from the accident and be more careful this time.