Da demo bike

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I picked up the grand daughters bike. It is a mess but I am going to use it anyway. It is a full suspension model so it is going to be a challenge. I had to buy a tire for it since the knobby mountain bike tires are worse than useless with friction drive.

I can use the tire as a rear tire should it ever wear out.

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
I have a bike similar to that one. It has full suspension, I will wait to see how you do friction drive.

My problem is trying to figure out how to mount the engine to the frame. Its difficult.

I'm eager to see the results.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Here you go... The only problem is that the engine is about 17cc so it is going to be replaced but on the same mount. I am going to go looking for a 31cc. And I am going to flip the motor upside down next time.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Piece of garbage.... lol
the gifted engine is 17cc or less... can't even start to climb even the smallest hill. I got it running something the guy who gave it to me couldn't do but it was a waste of my time except I did get my illustrations made.

I had the engine already mounted and ready to bolt on so it wasn't as fast as it seemed.

The bike is 24" but the pedals are for a 50" I think. I got cramps trying to pedal it. If the seat is any high I can't get on it. So tomorrow I am going to customize and then see about getting a better engine for it.

First of all I have to change out that rear tire. I need a coaster brake back there. Those cable brakes with no frame are terrible. I almost rolled into traffic today.

I'm thinking 20" coaster brake wheel on the rear. Then I have to change out the crank for a 20" crank from a cruiser I'm going junk out. The frame is too big and heavy for weed whacker bikes. I think, right or wrong, that they do better on lightweight bike frames.

I measured and it looks like I can get a coaster crank and chain ring on the mountain bike frame. Does anyone know for sure before I begin the work. Does the mountain bike pedals and crank come out the same way as a coaster. Ie left side threads are backwards, and you have to remove the pedal and slide it though the hub. Is that right for a mountain bike as well as a coaster.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As I said on another thread, I had a real problem getting on and off the demo bike. I also had problems with the pedals.

I decided to put a 20" coaster wheel on the rear. There were also some brake issues. I figured I would have to change the crank as well. I have a 20" crank I could take off a bike I'm not using. I was afriad that it might be a problem since the demo bike has gears and the donor bike is a coaster.

I changed the rear wheel first. Since the chain was a rust pit, I was going to have to change it anyway. I decided to change the rear wheel and test ride it before I did the crank set.

I put on a cruiser style chain just put it on the center ring of the front three chain rings. To my surprise it went on fine and the bike test rode pretty darn good. I could get on it easily and the pedals were almost comfortable. It was close enough so that I did not want to change the crank. I removed the rear shifter and saved it to use as a throttle later.

Then I switched out the brake handle. The one I took off has a straight handle and would give a little more distance on the pull I think. I'm going to save it for a clutch lever handle. I replaced it with a bent handled brake lever. I think I have a way to use the front brake even with the front mount engine,

The idea came for something I read in a mag from bike guy joe... Yes Joe I finally got around to reading it.