Da 2 headed monster

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I finally decided what I want to do with the little bitty engine that came from ebay. I'm going to make it run first thing, then I'm going to mount it onto the front of the 31cc bike I built. I feel like it is less than 25cc so i should still be legal. I'm sure it is 17cc lol.

My only concern is that both engines are going to hang from the same side of the bike. I dont want to mess with any shafts I want all my builds to be super simple.

I am thinking of dropping the front by installing a 24" wheel then bolting the engine mount right to the folk rather than use a cross mount and henge. I have used the test bike for almost a year so if the fork breaks I'll just shed a tear and move on. I'm curious to know what 50cc of pure power will do to the hills around here. Probably no more than the 31 does alone but I just have to try it for myself.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey it's easier than I thought. I laid out the basic mount in half an hour. I am gonna switch a few pieces but its going to be a piece of cake.

Hopefully it will work like this.

I rope start each motor and warm it up before I ride. then I kill them both. when I get to the test track. Half a block away. I will drag off the small front engine while the suicide clutch holds up the rear one. After I get moving a bit I will drop the suicide clutch and start the 31cc engine. The 31 has a throttle so I can use it to adjust the speed.

Since the 31cc wont auto stop, I have to either use the kill switch or the suicide clutch. The small one should choke itself down.

The small one should start up automatically and then I drop the clutch on the 31 and im back to full power lol.

I think it would all work better if I could walk and chew gum at the same time though.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If this works out it might be better to go with two 25cc engines than one bigger one. They start a lot easier for one thing. Just wish I could fine one that turned clockwise so i could make them look like saddlebags on the back.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Deacon, I would almost bet money that those engines will run either direction. Try it and see......................
I did try it with one a few weeks go it wouldn't. I have no idea why and I often wrap the cord the wrong way and none has ever started. I will give them a try tomorrow again but Im pretty sure they wont do that but it would be nice if they would. Probably a timing thing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Update""""""

The second engine required nothing more than a few ounces of carb cleaner to start it up and run like a scaled dog. So I mounted it on the front wheel.

Tried to drag start it but the bake was out of balance with two engine on the same side. I tried what ILIKEABIKA suggested running the front engine backwards. It works so I had to change everything to the other side of the bike. I also added a spring and friction clutch to the front engine as well. I don't think it will be a good ride so I expect to be changing the front motor over to the junk bike I just fixed up a little. I might need to do a little more to it as well.

I'll just have to see how it does.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been sitting here thinking how best to juggle the two engines. I think I'm going to use the 31cc as the main engine. I will hold the 25cc up by the gravity clutch. When I see the big hill coming, I'll drop it let it fire and use the boost like a turbo drive. That is if it works lol.

Most likely the wheels will fall off or something. I might want to wear a helmet for this one. I have no idea what to expect. The 31cc seems to do about twenty on the flat, and the 25cc I used to have would do about the same. I'm guessing the two should do about thirty.

I would really like to have two small engines about 25cc each and hook them both up on the rear one on each side like saddlebags. I'm not sure the second engine will do anything at all since the wheel will already be in motion.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
two wheelin' suv lol.

Ill try for better pics when it is finished and works. Or ill shoot some before I strip it down for a new build.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Deacon the junk yard bike builder lol...

The next challenge is to figure out what I can use for an air filter. The engine didnt come with one. I'm thinking lid from a peanut butter jar, and old tee shirt..

I never saw a junked bike I didn't love, or at least want to change into something else.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
When we were racing karts Norman used to make a custom air filter. We called it the Uncle P*n*s air filter. Because it looked like a p*n*s. Maybe he could make you one of those..............................rotflrotfl

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Fantastic! If your careful you may end up with a work of art.Quick tip:Looks to me like you could be more productive if you would spend less time organizing your work space.lol,I love it.If I cleaned my shop up I wouldn't be able to find anything.Ron

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Deacon for an air filter you could get some polyester batting (for pillows and such - $3 at walmart) and sandwich a little between some cross-stitching plastic grid stuff (you know, the plastic grid for the girls to do their crafts..couple bucks at walmart) and hold it together with zip ties.

Just a thought.