Cvt Rack Mount

GoldenMotor.com

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
Engler, Lost My Reply To You!!! This One Will Be Shorter!!!!lol. Yes That Is The Only Cvt Available Now, In That Size. It Is Good, Put Heavy Weight Gear Oil In The Little Gear Box. Think 11 Tooth On My Tranny And 54 Tooth On 26" Rear Wheel = Too Much Power And Am Over 325 Lbs.
So you have 4.9 (54:11) reduction from CVT to the hub. Is that enough

since CVT starts at 7:1 and going up? So the total ratio would be about 34.3, but it would never get to 1:1 in CVT right?

Or what am I missing here.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Engler, If I Ever Get Around To It, I Will Try I7/63 Tooth Sprockets (3.7/1) More Top Speed & Less Power. That Is Still A Starting Ratio Of 25.9/1. With 19/63 Tooth Sprockets It Would Be A Starting Ratio (low Gear) Of 23.21/1. As You Stated 11/54 Tooth Sprockets Start At 34.3/1 Ratio. I Think The Cvt Reaches Top Ratio Too Soon. I Got To 25 Mph, But I Weigh 325. With A 170 Lb Person It May Be Perfect. I Don`t Have Anybody Around Here Now To Try It. But It Starts Out With Me, No Pedal Assist At 1/4 Throttle Like No One Is On The Bike. This Is With The Titan 4 Stroke 49cc. Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Engler, I Got My Titan Shifter Up To 32 Mph With A Gps On The Bike (in 5th Gear Sprocket On Rear Cassette) And Motor Was Not Screaming. I Have Not Put Many Miles On Cvt. My Friend "wayne C" Has A Lot Of Miles On Cvt With 35cc Robin 4 Stroke. His Top Speed Was 25-27 Mph. He Has A 52cc Hf 2 Stroke On It Now, Loves The Power, Has Been Playing With The Cvt Weights For About A Week. Said; He Hates To Shut It Off, Lives Near Tampa Fl. Maybe He Will Post About It. As Far As I Know, He Was The First To Do A Cvt Bike. But The Guy With The Cvt And Shifter Dual Suspension Bike May Have Been First. Can`t Remember His Handle= Member Name. I Would Have A Cvt Or Shifter. The Cvt May Be Less Maintanence. But My Shifter Has Been Trouble Free = 2 Months Of Riding. May Have More Control Of Engine Rpm`s With The Shifter. Ron .cvlt1

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dan, I Will Get The Two Cvt Bikes Checked Out If You Make It Down This Spring. Will Make Sure The Friction Tricycle Is Running For Your Lady!! There Is Two Nice Sub Divisions To Ride In, 3 Blocks From Me. Have Not Heard Much From Fast Eddy Lately. Ron

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
Ron, I currently run tire scrubber (BMP) with 1.25" roller and HF 2stroke Mitsu clone. Top speed 32MPH + on flat, but I weigh 280lb, so can't complain, I am thinking CVT in order to climb really heavy hills, so I plan 11/63 or 14/63 do not care much about top speed. Do you think CVT could be hooked to 3speed I-motion internal hub and also have freewheeling capability?

3 speed i-motion has ratios something like .73 1 1.34

Supposedly this is the only internal hub tough enough to take engine beating and torque.

That would be suit setup, just as good as NuVinci but much lighter and cheaper!

Good and clean looking too, just 2 sprockets on the rear wheel and no problems with dearileur collecting dirt etc.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Engler, Yes, I Think It Could Work I Don`t Know What The Sprocket Looks Like Of The 3 Speed Hub. Maybe You Could Bolt 2 Sprockets To 3 Speed Hub And Put A Free Wheel Crank On The Pedals. Have You Looked At Pics In My "cvt Rack Mount" Build. I Have Used 8mm Chain And Sprockets, But 1/2 Pitch Is Good If You Can Find The Right Sprockets For The Cvt Output Shaft. Ron .cvlt1

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
I run a 49cc pocket bike engine on my tadpole trike that has a cvt on it. The engine originally came from an X1 pocketbike. Yours looks like the X2 version but seems to have a bigger case than those I have seen before. I like the cvt also and mine runs through the chain system so all the back gears also work. So far it has maxed out at 32 mph according to my bike speedometer. That's too fast for me though as my steering gets a bit twitchy at anything over about 25. It's really great for pulling a trailer loaded down with groceries in the lower gears.
Lee
packrat workshop index

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
I run a 49cc pocket bike engine on my tadpole trike that has a cvt on it. The engine originally came from an X1 pocketbike. Yours looks like the X2 version but seems to have a bigger case than those I have seen before. I like the cvt also and mine runs through the chain system so all the back gears also work. So far it has maxed out at 32 mph according to my bike speedometer. That's too fast for me though as my steering gets a bit twitchy at anything over about 25. It's really great for pulling a trailer loaded down with groceries in the lower gears.
Lee
packrat workshop index
Is there any chance of any pictures of this pocket bike build?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
fleebell, HI AND WELCOME, HAVE NOT SEEN YOU POST TILL TODAY. PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT, LIKE THE AVATAR, DON`T THINK I HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE EITHER!! COOL. WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW YOU DID YOUR CVT/SHIFTER. RON PS, I`m sure paul would ok your tadpole emoticon if you would like. there is none like it yet. . cvlt1

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Fleebell, I Had My Top Mount Titan Shifter Up To 32 Mph With Gps (very Accurate) Too Fast For Me Also!! Ron PS PEDRO How are are things in England?

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
I've got a simple question. Whats the weight distribution like on it? it seems like the cvt side would be heavy and make it lopsided. I love it otherwise. I thought about rigging up a homemade psuedo cvt on an inframe pk80. Way beyond my senior in highschool capabilities though. very cool.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
fleebell, HI AND WELCOME, HAVE NOT SEEN YOU POST TILL TODAY. PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT, LIKE THE AVATAR, DON`T THINK I HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE EITHER!! COOL. WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW YOU DID YOUR CVT/SHIFTER. RON PS, I`m sure paul would ok your tadpole emoticon if you would like. there is none like it yet. . cvlt1
Ok here is a few pics so ya'll can see how it was done.

left side showing home made muffler- engine feeds a 44t bike gear on left side

right side is attached to a freewheel with an extra gear welded to the freewheel mounting piece

right side view. as you can see I still haven't mounted the battery for the lights yet. At the moment they are just running of the engine gen output.

He can add the little graphic to the list if he wants to. I have a few more that I've done but they are too big for emoticons... This one was shrunk down just for this board
Lee
packrat workshop index

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Fleebell, Yes, Great Engineering! Looks Like It Took Lots Of Work, A Complete Build. The Recumbents Are Expensive. With The Battery You Will Have Electric Start And Lites. What Is The Volts/watts Of The Bulbs?? Have Several Pocket Motors W/gen-starter. My First Build With One = A Friction Drive. When I Was Adjusting Carb Idle, The Starter Wire, Hanging Loose, Shorted Out. I Thought A Welder Had Fired Up In My Face!! Lol. Lots Of Power At Idle. Are They 36 Volt?? I Like The Double Safety Flags Also. Good Job, Well Done! That Will Inspire Some Builds. Saturday I Ordered Jackshaft Parts From "staton-inc". Their Three Grooved Freewheel Adapter And $4. 3 Prong Sprocket Is Awsum For Jackshaft Builds. Today Received Jackshaft Diy Parts From Mcmaster-carr. One Day Shipping For Less Than $5. Ron .cvlt1

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
Fleebell, Yes, Great Engineering! Looks Like It Took Lots Of Work, A Complete Build. The Recumbents Are Expensive. With The Battery You Will Have Electric Start And Lites. What Is The Volts/watts Of The Bulbs?? Have Several Pocket Motors W/gen-starter. My First Build With One = A Friction Drive. When I Was Adjusting Carb Idle, The Starter Wire, Hanging Loose, Shorted Out. I Thought A Welder Had Fired Up In My Face!! Lol. Lots Of Power At Idle. Are They 36 Volt?? I Like The Double Safety Flags Also. Good Job, Well Done! That Will Inspire Some Builds. Saturday I Ordered Jackshaft Parts From "staton-inc". Their Three Grooved Freewheel Adapter And $4. 3 Prong Sprocket Is Awsum For Jackshaft Builds. Today Received Jackshaft Diy Parts From Mcmaster-carr. One Day Shipping For Less Than $5. Ron .cvlt1

It's an easy trike to build, 2 20 inch bikes and some exhaust pipe.
I would like to use the electric start but the battery won't turn it over. (Even a car battery couldn't do it) The little engine still has too much compression for it. (new head and new starter).

I don't know what the top voltage of the those generators are supposed to be but mine will put out over 18v when the engine is wound up, I do know that much. I cheated on the lights and use two of the $4 harbor freight 12v magnetic base spot lights for headlights (both wired directly to the gen at the moment) I took the bases off and put a ring bolt in their places. The bolts just go through holes on the top of the fork mounted 'T' on each side. They are easy to adjust and work well as bike headlights. Eventually there will also be two tail lights also hooked to the gen. I still need to get a couple of switches to finish up that part.

I would like to get a cvt like Ron has on his. That one looks like it is a lot stronger built than the one that is on this engine.(X1 version) I think the one he has is the X2 version. I haven't had to take this one apart yet so I don't know what the inside of it looks like but the pulleys can't be but about half as big as the ones in his are.

Lee
packrat workshop index

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Incredible stuff FB! I have 700 concepts I want to send you. Long lost thread about crazy stuff; http://motorbicycling.com/f28/stuff-should-never-3430.html

Ron!! Every morning, I do a stipend volunteer thing for "meals on wheels" About half way up Avon MTN, I have to switch from NPR to a country station. (I am a yankie and you know how they are, lol) Any way, this song always brings you to mind. They play it a lot less now but it came on this morning and made it a point to send it to you. Just looking forward to hanging out with you and talking. YouTube - Billy Currington: God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Forgot to say Ron, Carol says "Hi" (This is funny, she has Tom and TS down but you are now "who is that one, Fla?")(( Jay is in PA. George, NH and Ray is Mass) I am losing trac!