Cruiser bike hub loose, but...

GoldenMotor.com

Lunatuck

Aug 8, 2019
I may need to tighten the hub on my Huffy Nel Lusso. But, I'm also thinking the hub isn't quite centered on the axle. The drive chain is rubbing the tire, and I think a couple mm's would fix it.

That said, I know very little about cruiser brakes. Is there an easy way to shift the wheel 2-3mm on the axle?

Lunatuck

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks! Thats the plan is to replace nearly everything. But trying to buy used and keep it cheap. Wifey wants a scooter. Lol.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
If it's loose, the bearings are probably toasted. Common problem with those junky hubs.

To "shift" the axle, you loosen the cones on both sides, then thread one side in and the other out till you get it where you want, then tighten them back down. Properly. Check youtube if you don't know how to rebuild a coaster brake or tighten cones correctly.

Reactions: indian22

Lunatuck

Aug 8, 2019
I was able to tighten up the hub, but it gives me absolutely no confidence in the wheels. I have a smaller tire showing up tomorrow, but I think I'll be replacing the wheels before I consider this one road worthy.

Its crazy, I used to ride 50+ mph on my non motorized road bike. I feel like this thing would shake to pieces if I rode that fast. And that's without starting the motor.

Wisco Life

Aug 16, 2019
Wisconsin
I just picked up a Nel Lusso myself, and true to huffy form, at least in my personal experience, the rims are garbage. That'll be in my winter upgrade schedule. I don't currently have any rubbing issues.

As far as shifting the wheel, you'd need to shave or get a thin nut for the one side, and use washers/spacers for the opposite side. Moving the bearing races will just change it's position on the axle, it will still sit the same in the dropout.

Reactions: Lunatuck

Lunatuck

Aug 8, 2019
I switched from the stock 2.175 tire to a Kenda 1.95. Using a caliper, I determined that they are both the same overall width. But, the wide part of the Kenda is a bead that is a very thick area of rubber, not the sidewall. That area will wear down a bit and be of no concern. I think my rubbing issue is solved.

The bike ran pretty nice yesterday, but the wheels have now come to the forefront of issues that need to be solved. Probably going to order the wheelmasters. I'm thinking the 14G are fine cause I'm light and this is literally a road cruiser. I'm also going to use a sprocket adpater for less stress.

I have also become more adept at tightening the coned on the hub, but I'm still not a fan of coaster brakes. Between the brakes and the gears, everything just feels squishy. At least my handbrake works.

Reactions: Wisco Life