Crazy Fast after thousands of km.

GoldenMotor.com

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
I ride pretty much everyday I can back and forth to work 15km each way, as well as casual riding.
The bike through it's lifetime tends to top out at about 40km/h which is what I like and is what is legal limit here.
On the ride home today I lost the air filter, I wear a full helmet so I didn't hear it drop, I did however notice a big increase in speed, vibration, rpm and a bit more noise at those rpm. Needless to say i was almost home by the time I figured out why, most days it just runs allot better once it's warmed up outside.

I had ordered another kit a week ago, so I had another cover and filter handy, which I replaced.
I didn't pick up much if any noticeable dirt, was pretty clean when I put it back on.

My buddy and I went to go break in the new kit for awhile and see how my bike was acting. I now hit 40 at about 2/3 throttle and any farther than that is crazy speed that I've never had before, it gets to the point where I think it's going to explode and still has more but I don't think the bike or engine would take it.

My old filter I checked often to make sure it was clean, I had three small holes 1-2mm(ish) in the center logo of the old cover. New cover is stock. (both black stock cover) Intake and exhaust gaskets are permatex orange.
Mounts are tight, uses two ubolts to a concrete L bracket, possible visible in pic.

Plug is dark, run pretty rich for a long time, running 40-1 amsoil interceptor, just cracked large bottle number two. was motomaster 2 cycle before that during breakin and for awhile. I'd say I've got 3000+ kms on the engine between work riding, casual and a 250km camptrip with 75-100lb trailer load. It's had some use. :)

Never had it reving that high before or ever been on a bicycle doing that speed
I'm just not sure I want to push it as is, or if things are ok. Most of what I'm reading on air leaks tends to slow you down, but I'd think it could do either. It just goes faster and I don't want to see how fast It'll go.

I'll see how it runs in the morning, but any ideas would be appreciated,

Last edited:

GMulhollan

May 25, 2009
Texas
Sorry, no help here on your high revs. But...that is a bike I like; not a beauty queen, a real trooper! I see you have your clutch lever mounted (up) with the left brake handle (down). Was that hard to learn to manipulate? Also, what are the other goodies up front? Again, congratulations on a really well used vehicle.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Well, hasn't been doing it to the same extent as it did that night, but it has gained allot of power at the top end. Unsure why, but I guess we'll see how it does on a new frame.
This trooper is retiring as of Monday night. It's taken a good beating but it's getting time to air on the safe side, something with front suspension and at least discs up front.

I built it around September last year. and I have 15km to work each way for 30km plus whatever other riding I do. Mon-Fri. Rode allot until the snow fell, I rode in the snow, the coldest being -20C but the wind-chill not only from the wind, but the added air passing you from riding is pretty bad.

One wipeout coming into work one of the first days it snowed, brand new asphalt and it was a skating rink, back end slid out with me, slid for a little bit. Not hurt.

Toasted a front tire on a meridian that I didn't see until the last second, the lighting kind of shadowed it, without any kind of suspension it put a pretty good dent it it, managed to make it home ok. slowly.

Ahh the clutch. I've never really had to use one until now, but it's very comfortable for me, I have a hard time with it the other way(swapped?Where should the front brake go?). It allows me to clutch and then be able to have easy access to the front brake without having to pull and leavers down on my fingers. See pics. Maybe I missed that page in the manual but I just did what came natural to me. First photo being bad for me, and the second good for me

Other goods left to right
brake/signal/noisemaker , gives me a brake and signal lights, it's cheap china junk you can find on ebay, but I found some at a liquidation place here. The signal lights are not too bad, but the switch is really bad. I'm going to junk it and run the next bike using cat5 cable. with a powertool battery and some real lights. Nice part is the brake light as it turns on when the brakes are compressed.

Next would be the speedo, I have that off for now,

the ccm halogen headlight, it runs 4 aa's or off the 6v batt which is under my seat. Next to that I have a standard bike bell. rear shift and rear brake, and the killswitch is now a horn from 82 toyota, probly rated 12v but it works, New ones probly wont I dont think one is meant for as many db as new store bought ones, use 12v on new ones. Old vw's 60's? possibly had 6v systems, so might want to check about that. (dont quote me on that , think i got that from a guy doing hho in a youtube video)

This bike was to test if the kits would be worth it. And I got the 150 I paid for it back the first ride I had in fun alone. But it used to cost $4 a day to bus it to work. Now it's $4 a week and much fun.

Btw the handlebar extender at the back is for mounting the trailer to, our trailers are not the axle mounted versions, they would normally go about where the tensioner is and we didn't want to interfere with that.

Attachments