Crack in carberetor

GoldenMotor.com

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018
The other day I went on a 7 mile trip and ran my bike at mid throttle most of the way there. There was lots of hills and I was carrying a load on my bike rack of about 15-20 lbs along with my weight of about 210lbs... On my ride home I noticed the motor was struggling and I felt it stuttering as I would turn the throttle. It almost stalled out a couple times and then finally did. Once i started it back up, i noticed the throttle did not feel normal as I would turn it, like it would rev in and out as I moved forward. It was stuttering. When I finally got it home, I checked everything outwardly and noticed there was a crack underneathe the choke, on the carberetor. I don't have the tools really, or the experience to fix it but I want to learn. I made an amateur move and placed electrical tape over the crack in attempt to temporarily fix it. I would really appreciate any suggestions and/or insight on what kind of issues I'm facing and how to approach them as an amateur to engines.
Thank you guys so much!
(Also, after checking everything once I got back, I also noticed that the plastic casing where the screw is for the throttle wire is broken right where it connects to the throttle handle from the wire and I'm wondering if this could possibly be an additional cause to why the engine is stuttering. I taped it the best I could but it doesn't seem to be any better.)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the forum!

If you could tell us what engine and carb you've got, it would certainly help......or, if you could post a picture would be even better.

Best of luck in getting back on the road.

Reactions: BrokenVessel

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018
Ok. I'l try it. How long will my bike run with this kind of problem? Will it just leak gas or will it do damage to any other parts?

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018
Ok. I'l try it. How long will my bike run with this kind of problem? Will it just leak gas or will it do damage to any other parts?

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
crack in carb is at the 'still air box' portion - won't hurt running at all (unless pieces break off and go into motor) - any fix that will make it solid again should be good

crack at throttle grip could be a minor problem in control, in that cable might bind at some time when you hit a bump and not allow you to slow down other than by hitting kill switch - that would be better replaced than fixed

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018
Hey guys,just by looking at my engine, can you tell me what "cc" it is? If so, how can i tell? Thanks and again i apologize for the elementary questions. ..

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hard to tell from a pic, but probably an older 66cc since the head studs look like 8mm

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018
Hi guys. Haven' been able to afford the fixes my bike needs yet and have been riding it and it's been running ok but now it' stalling out after riding for a few minutes. I can feel the throttle trying to do its job but it' like the engine loses power and conks out slowly, like it' not receiving anything from the throttle when I turn it. Could the crack in my carb be causing this issue? If not, what could it be? Thanks again.

BrokenVessel

Jun 11, 2018
Crassius, I started a conversation on here and added you to it. Had another question but I can't remember how to post a thread on here so I asked the question in the 'conversation' and added you to it. Did you see it?