connecting a tandom bike

GoldenMotor.com

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
im a noob but looking at building my first kit bike.....looking at a fastboy

4 cycle sounds better to me but money is as it is....

ive heard you connect a tandem bike by placing the front forks of a bike on the axel of the motor bike......seems like a easy way to carry stuff for a short road trip...anyone tried or heard of that

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Hey Frankz, I'm nearly a noob myself. So let me welcome you to the forum. What you're talking about could be done easy enough if you
are out in the countryside where you don't have State Troopers breathing down our neck.

When we were kids we'd pull the front tires out of the forks of a few bicycles and loosen the nuts on the rear axles to make up bicycles for 2,3,4 and more.

Problem with Ohio, where I live, is that they clearly state "one rider" only. Some states may permit doing it but I don't know anything about it. I'm sure a traffic Judge would figure that anything boys do with bicycles is cool....but when they motorize and take to the road that that's a different matter.

So check out your state Motor Vehicles Web Site in the section of Motorcycles/Mopeds/motorized bicycles. (and if you put a motor kit on a bicycle, don't allow any Motor Vehicles Dept Clerks to refer to it as a Moped. It's a bicycle with a helper motor. Be sure to have your purchase reciepts for the bicycle and the motor kit. Trust me on this) They will likely want to sell you a license for the motor bike you build....which means a title etc. If you built it they will want proof of how and where you got the parts. (proving they weren't stolen)

So all the best with your project.

Last edited:

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
hey thanks for the welcome.....this is the funnest thing ive seen since whip cream in a pressurized can

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Frankz, welcome. That's an awesome idea, thankz. I am gonna have to try that. With no rider on the trailing bike, will it need vertical support to keep it from flopping over?

Or a Trike!!! Dang, project list just grew again. At this rate I will be 112 before I get half done. (now am thinking pusher trike, lol)

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
my thought was using sec bike as a pack mule only....again this is just sitting awake at night waiting for parts .....but my thought is only thing you would need diff is when you stop to park you would have to hold both bikes up till they are both "kick standed" which would be just a little extra effort on parking

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
i think the "pack mule" would not count as a second rider.....and if you ever wanted to pack a tent and min say couple days supplies it would beat riding with a back pack

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
just to clarifiy........and im sorry for writing on my own post..... and its out of respect for the law and care of other assisted bike riders......

i would never use the pack mule for around town.....more of the idea i live in kansas lots of pretty much empty back highways and roads .......

the idea is to have something i could carry camping supplies mabey 50miles max for camping at the lake for the weekend we have lakes that are closer also closest is 10 miles from me..........

again i dont want to "break the law" but more importantly for each person that "breaks the law" it would seem to harm this harmless and wonderful hobbie/sport/engineering quest.......it doesnt take to many breaking laws until they pass laws that effect all........

so my question and i live in kansas......the laws are vague here 130cc or 3.5 bhp and you can read the rest

would having a pack mule.........only to be used for camping trips....and i realize we are not lawyers so any advice is welcome

does anything scream..........."dont do it"

ps........the roads to the lakes in my area are all roads you could legally ride a MT bike on.....no interstate or anything like that

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
another thought.........if a person removed seat and handle bars pedals gears ....basically strip down the tandem bike it would be hard to argue that a second rider could be involved

again im sorry for writing on my own post...but better than bother others

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
sorry to keep writing on my own thread.........but i keep getting thoughts that i forgot.......

if anyone has skype they can call me @ frankzappa4pres i just figured might be other skypers out here

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Frankz, it is all good bud.

I can't imagine the "pack-mule" thing could be in any way against the law, in any state. But I don't know that it isn't either. I think it is really brilliant. I am surprised so many folks did it as kids and I never heard of it. Have a few junkers that are gonna become mules.

Every time I start thinking about this, alls I can see in my head is a trike-mule. ..then the image becomes motorized. I think I need MBA and 12 steps...rotfl