Confusing drive sprocket bore size vs actual rear axle O.D.

GoldenMotor.com

zing

Feb 23, 2019
This has been so much fun. I have 3 bikes I'm working at as I have time and the longer I'm at it the more I keep changing my projects around. I decided to go 4 stroke gas power on the older steel frame Miami Trike I found. I like the 24 inch wheeIs but I don't like the light weight frame. It looks like it will need some gussets and bracing ( hopefully in good locations). I need a 4 stroke so I can get off the bike and leave it running. I have a harbor freight 212 and a 79cc. and a china girl. I would like to go with the lighter engine but I'm not married to any particular way. Speed isn't the factor here, being able to take off without pedaling is a major factor for this trike. It will spend it's life in parking lots and office centers

O-K Here's what I have. I've measured several times with a digital caliper that checks out against my inherited old mitotoyo. The axle I would like to put a drive sprocket on and maybe a disc brake, measures out at 14.85mm or the decimal .584. I'm not seeing anything that matches what I think I need ??

I've tried a couple 1 1/2 inch hub adapters, but on the 24 inch wheels there isn't enough room for the bolts where the spokes meet the wheel hub. If I have to, I will try a rag joint. I also have a repro whizzer sheave for a future project i could use also.

I would appreciate any ideas

Thanks
Zing

Smooth Ave

May 5, 2019
McAlester OK
Hi, I have been playing with a trike for a while. I think yo will find " husky tricycles and sun trikes both have 15mm axles and sprockets you may be able to adapt a sprocket hub. I think that will fit what you have. My cheap eBay trike axle measures .585" also. If you decide to use a China girl, you might look at "a trike to like" in the trike forum. I was able to squeeze a China girl between the stays. It keeps the weight down low and keeps the motor out of the way. It was necessary to Fab exhaust and intake but was worth it. Good luck.

Reactions: zing

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Hi, I have been playing with a trike for a while. I think yo will find " husky tricycles and sun trikes both have 15mm axles and sprockets you may be able to adapt a sprocket hub. I think that will fit what you have. My cheap eBay trike axle measures .585" also. If you decide to use a China girl, you might look at "a trike to like" in the trike forum. I was able to squeeze a China girl between the stays. It keeps the weight down low and keeps the motor out of the way. It was necessary to Fab exhaust and intake but was worth it. Good luck.
Beautiful job on your trike ! I changed direction a bit on my trike and I may have time to work on it again this week ! I'm using a 79cc predator engine that I'm building a mounting platform to place a jack shaft on and bolt the motor on now. I'm going belt drive so I put a reproduction Whizzer sheave on the left wheel. I figure by the time I brace it and do what else I can for the flimsy frame, It will be a shakey machine that has a mind of its own and takes inertia in gentle curves to dangerous levels quickly. I'm thinking about taking off the seat and maybe set it up more like a mini buck board wagon with a one butt bench seat rotfl. That being said I can't wait to finish and take it for a test ride.

Smooth Ave

May 5, 2019
McAlester OK
Ha,ha,ha...I think you bring a very realistic approach to trike building. No furry dreams and sugary streams, these things are scary! Riding one of these things will quickly jerk you back to reality. The challenges make it very rewarding. I look forward to following your build. I like the sheave plan a lot, the buck board seat will allow the rider to shift the center of gravity, this is ingenious. Eagerly watching.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Here is a older Worksman with a big basket. And strong braced frame, strong enough to tip up on two wheels. it has a angle iron subframe were the wheels brace mount. 26" on front and 24" out back............Curt