Colder weather and ideal warm up temps?

GoldenMotor.com

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
7679DF01-08E0-4728-8F13-86A25596DA74.jpeg
The weather is gearing up to get colder around here (Louisville, KY) and I was wondering a few things. I just finished my first build and just wrapped up my second short ride on it, loving this thing so far! My questions are...

1. What is the best procedure for warming these little Chinese two stroke engines up before riding? And how do I know if it’s warm enough to ride or open the throttle wide open?

2. What ambient temperatures do I need to look out for and let the engine warm up more than normal? As in how cold does it need to be outside that I need to pay attention to letting it warm up enough?

3. Is there an inexpensive way to monitor my cylinder head temperature besides buying one of the $40 thermocouple spark plug washers? Would a grill thermometer with a probe rigged the right way display an accurate enough reading on the head?

And I attached a picture of my bike because I’m pretty proud of it, it’s not beauty like many of your all’s on here but I’m learning and loving the hobby so far! Thanks in advance!

Kyle

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
As long as it is running. Just take it easy at low throttle till it gets up to temp which takes very little time from 20 degrees on up. Lean conditions caused by cold weather can cause overheating so always baby these engines in cold weather. I've even partially choke the engine and leave it on partial if its really cold out like 0 degrees. The choke has infinite degrees of use to block air. More engines blow a ring when the temps dip. Again
Just baby your engine without bogging it when it's cold and you will be fine. Go slow enjoy the ride stay safe as cold weather lo brings stiff tires, wet leaves, slippery roads too.

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
As long as it is running. Just take it easy at low throttle till it gets up to temp which takes very little time from 20 degrees on up. Lean conditions caused by cold weather can cause overheating so always baby these engines in cold weather. I've even partially choke the engine and leave it on partial if its really cold out like 0 degrees. The choke has infinite degrees of use to block air. More engines blow a ring when the temps dip. Again
Just baby your engine without bogging it when it's cold and you will be fine. Go slow enjoy the ride stay safe as cold weather lo brings stiff tires, wet leaves, slippery roads too.
Awesome thank you for the response! I really appreciate the kind comments as well I am pretty proud of it I know it’s nothing special but it’s my first one and I’m proud of her! And also... when you push down the clutch hold button (to disengage the clutch and keep it off) my bike will still run. And when I say run I mean I can push the silver button on the clutch to hold it off, put my kickstand down, get off my bike and it’s fine... however if I lift my back tire up the wheel will start slowly spinning. Does this mean I am wearing my clutch down while it’s idling on the kick stand?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
The wheel spinning slowly while you do the tire lift is totally normal and caused by the light spring pressure on the pads. Your clutch pads will eventually wear out 1000 miles-2000 miles and are easy, cheap*( 5 bucks) and can be done fast. As will your clutch rod (the smooth rod that slides in and out in front of the one big ball bearing)

I always have a clutch pads and a spare rod and bearing around and they mushroom on some bikes after long use. I believe from vibration. Keep this rod greased well where it meets the outer clutch arm as it helps prevent wear. Here is a link showing what I mean.

I've even made my own clutch rods out of hardened bolt shafts on trouble bikes. Some engines never seem to wear out anything/LOL
depends what day they were made on.

Everything on these bikes is just common sense and they are so simple that you can always do your own repairs and learn at the same time. It why its a great hobby, as there is always something on a bike to tinker on to keep it running smooth, safe and trouble free. Bike berry has them

If you add a engine side spring tensioner and makes pedaling
easier and chain so silent. look on ebay. prices from 20-49 bucks
with a skateboard wheel it also takes wear and tear off your rear hub also. They have sealed real bearing. Then you can have a inch or so of play in the chain and it keeps the tension perfect at every revolution and by the front sprocket, where one needs it.

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
E50E9E97-7CFA-4DE0-9ED8-AC8CEF855F92.png
The wheel spinning slowly while you do the tire lift is totally normal and caused by the light spring pressure on the pads. Your clutch pads will eventually wear out 1000 miles-2000 miles and are easy, cheap*( 5 bucks) and can be done fast. As will your clutch rod (the smooth rod that slides in and out in front of the one big ball bearing)

I always have a clutch pads and a spare rod and bearing around and they mushroom on some bikes after long use. I believe from vibration. Keep this rod greased well where it meets the outer clutch arm as it helps prevent wear. Here is a link showing what I mean.

I've even made my own clutch rods out of hardened bolt shafts on trouble bikes. Some engines never seem to wear out anything/LOL

Everything on these bikes is just common sense and they are so simple that you can always do your own repairs and learn at the same time. It why its a great hobby, as there is always something on a bike to tinker on to keep it running smooth, safe and trouble free. Bike berry has them

with a skateboard wheel it also takes wear and tear off your rear hub also. They have sealed real bearing. Then you can have a inch or so of play in the chain and it keeps the tension perfect at every revolution and by the front sprocket, where one needs it.
I believe that is what brought me into this new hobby... I love working on all our two stroke outdoor power equipment at work and seeing what I can tinker with to make stuff run better/smoother! Thank you for your response and as far as the tensioner are you talking about something like this...?

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
C43E8290-388E-491A-A85F-31E18DF94B8A.png

Or are you talking about one like this? And which one of these tensioners is better?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yes any one with a skate board wheel on it. This one is far better in quality my opinion for 10 bucks more, better finish no sharp edges, countersunk allen head machine screws, lighter swing arm, abec sealed bearings, better spring, I use these on all my builds, they are so nice. Any one is far superior to original type in the kits.
Duluth Cycle Chain Tensioner.jpg

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
Yes any one with a skate board wheel on it. This one is far better in quality my opinion for 10 bucks more, better finish no sharp edges, countersunk allen head machine screws, lighter swing arm, abec sealed bearings, better spring, I use these on all my builds, they are so nice. Any one is far superior to original type in the kits.
View attachment 96728
Ok great I’ll look into this! Thank you Ziptie!