clutch still acting up

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
well guys i did everything i was told exept take the whole clutch assembly out . it works sometimes and other times i need to put a piece of wood over the flower nut and hit it with a hammer to get it to work. i am thinking real hard of getting a new 66cc motor if i cant not get this finally fixed its so nice when it runs have no problems with hills ohh and it seem to slip a bit but that could be adjusted with the tension on the cable right?
but will never get anything from eBay again.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Did you make sure your flower nut's security screw is there? If it isn't, that will be the source of all of your clutch headaches. That screw is absolutely critical to the operation of the clutch, as it prevents the flower nut from turning. I don't recommend hitting it with that hammer any more, that may be damaging the threads, which will cause even more issues. The tighter that nut is, the more your clutch will grab.

Another thing to look out for: the bearings inside the clutch are almost never lubricated. You should take a syringe of heavy grease and very carefully apply a small dollop to each bearing. Then remove the carb and spark plug and roll the bike so the grease distributes. MAKE SURE NONE OF THE GREASE EVEN TOUCHES THE CLUTCH PADS OR PLATES!!!

If the bearings are already damaged, then just replace the clutch assembly and start anew. Do not forget that flower nut security screw.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Gill it sounds like the shaft itself is bent, did you try to increase the pre-load on the spring inside? I would try that before I give up.

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
it totally seized up i cant move it at all anymore i am just going to get a new motor this 66cc was not a new one to begin with.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
it totally seized up i cant move it at all anymore i am just going to get a new motor this 66cc was not a new one to begin with.
Then it's likely the bearings are shot. No need to pay $100 or more for a new motor. Just pay $40 for a new clutch assembly. Just be careful to actually lubricate the bearings before installing. They never lubricate them.

I had this issue with my first clutch. I managed to get it rolling again by rocking it back and forth, but it was the damaged bearings catching on each other. No lubrication inside the bearings to be seen. I put a little bit of heavy grease in there, which stopped the siezing, but they were still grinding away at each other. The damage had been done.

Heres a full rebuild kit, just for price reference:
https://www.bicycle-engines.com/clutch-repair-kit-parts-1-3-6-13-18-21-26-28-31-38/
You really just need the bezel assembly.

You could also go to many of the vendors linked to on this forum. They may have differing stock and prices.

Last edited: