clutch pulled in, grinding noise

GoldenMotor.com

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Right after I swapped out my 44t for a 36t sprocket, without touching anything on the motor....... I go to try out the bike and first off- pretty nice speed. but then when I begin to coast and pull in the clutch, it makes a horrible grinding noise from the motor. If I pull in just a bit, there's no noise. I took off the clutch cover to see if anything seemed abnormal, the only thing i did notice was that the big gear has a good amount of play and that it seems like it's missing a few ball bearings? totally stumped.. please help. thanks.

:-||

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
mine does the same thing it gets quieter as it breaks in , at first I thought it was munching a bearing untill I opened it up an confirmed it was ok .

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If you feel its in the small bearings, pull the pressure plate, clean the clutch well and grease the bearings. There are You Tube videos describing the cleaning process if you don't know how to do it. I like a syringe to apply grease.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
i've had this bike for over 6 months now. It just had to start making these noises right after I change out the sprocket. I didnt even touch the motor.. It was running perfect before the swap.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Good point. I do have my chain really tight.. I'll have to fix that tomorrow and try it out.I didn't even have to remove the sprocket cover so didnt get a chance to put more grease into the hole.