Clutch pads

GoldenMotor.com

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Jim at Creative Engineering "Manic Mechanic" ad right side. Is getting ready to start distributing some that are made of a real quality friction material. If you can wait for them he said they'd be going for about $10.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Jim at Creative Engineering "Manic Mechanic" ad right side. Is getting ready to start distributing some that are made of a real quality friction material. If you can wait for them he said they'd be going for about $10.
he mentioned some mat'l a few weeks ago

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Yeah, I can't wait for Manic Mechanic's clutch pads. Mine are crappy and cheap. I can't wait for an upgrade.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I finished the tool for the round pads a week and a half ago...at least I thought I did laff

I punched some out to test. Everything was going according to plan. These were punched based on the diameter of the holes in a gear I had on my desk from a dissassembled engine.

Sooo...I took the cover and pressure plate off of a customers' bike thinking I would test the new friction material. I knew his clutch used the round pads, because I have worked on it before. The holes in this gear are 1/16" larger than the one I went by.

Fortunately I designed the tool to have interchangeable punches and dies.

Unfortunately, before ordering, the customer is going to have to take the clutch apart and determine what size and shape they need.

I will make the punch and die set for the trapezoids as soon as I can test the material.

It seems like there is always something to throw you off track when dealing with these engines.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there is even a third round size, and possibly several sizes of trapezoid.

The first 5 people to post pics on this thread of their clutch gear, being measured with calipers, will get a set to test.

I have friction material for a gear with .475" diameter holes for the pads ready to ship. If your gear has .535" diameter holes, or the trapezoids, there is no need to post a pic. I only have the one size available.

I need to get this going, but in the event the chosen material is wrong; I don't want a bunch of them out there.

I'm finishing up a batch of sprocket adapters, and intakes, so I will probably not get the chance to make the .535" tooling until the end of the week. Once I punch the 535's I can test the material on my customers bike.

Jim

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
So trapezoids should be done by the end of the week? SWEET.
It is supposed to rain all week, and I'm busy all week anyway.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Last year I made clutch pads from this material and it did not work no matter how I adjusted tension. Would have been nice at about half a dollar a bike. Ended up going back to the "tire sidewall" stuff.

McMaster-Carr

6175K161 Nonmetallic Molded Brake and Clutch Lining 5/16" Thick, 2" Width $7.37 Ft.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there is even a third round size, and possibly several sizes of trapezoid.

The first 5 people to post pics on this thread of their clutch gear, being measured with calipers, will get a set to test.

I have friction material for a gear with .475" diameter holes for the pads ready to ship. If your gear has .535" diameter holes, or the trapezoids, there is no need to post a pic. I only have the one size available.

Jim
Jim
I will Priority Mail you some clutches to use as models along with the money for the intakes
I have Grubee trapezoidal shaped clutches and the round / PK / raw crap ones with the very uneven pads

please call me

Need some work? I have lots for you....

The 4 stroke is the future as the 2 stroke is the walking dead :D