Clutch excessively hard to disengage

GoldenMotor.com

Nerevar

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I just did my first motor bike conversion and I'm thrilled with how much fun and economical it is. However the clutch is excessively hard to disengage with the clutch lever. I already broke the one that I received with the kit after only 2 days of use :-||! The aluminum snapped right in half, and I have since replaced it with another handle that is just as stiff to operate. Any tips for loosening it up? Thanks in advance!

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
First try lubricating the cable, hold one end of it up in the air and dribble some light oil or chain lube down the cable. Second take off the spring that is between the cable adjuster under the carb and the clutch arm. It serves no purpose other than making the clutch harder to pull.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
i origionally ran my bike without the spring and then i was bored one day and decided i needed to put it on . and about four miles from home (without my cell phone ) clutch cable broke and i hod no tools to get the chain off to ride it back so i had to walk bike with rear tire up in the air :-||

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Tech Tip, Take a good size nail and grind the end till it looks like a flat blade screw driver. Zip tie it to your frame. If needed pop your master link remove or tie up the chain and peddle home.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Make sure you have no sharp bends in the cable, and don't zip tie it to tightly to anything. Try to get the cable end mount:confused: where it ends at the engine turned so the cable comes out pointing at the clutch arm, not at an angle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
One of those springs is a heat shield for the cable housing.

If you use that one in place of the already un-needed spring, you will have a pull most difficult.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
make sure your cable doesn't wrap around the frame and has as few bends as possible, this helped me a lot. also making sure the cable holder/stopper on the engine isn't causing the cable to scrape when you pull it by turning it towards the clutch arm. this can be hard if you have the slack remover on the cable holder turned out because it hits the gear box.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Hmm. My clutch disengages pretty smoothly. When I had it apart I greased the split shaft under the spring. It made all the difference in the world. The tension on the clutch spring has an adjuster on it as well.