Chrome Worksman Build Up

GoldenMotor.com

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Ghost0 -

I should have taken a pic of the other axis. I started out at 1/8' outboard. I did increase it to 1/4" and I just get clearance. If I go any more the chain wants to climb the jack shaft sprocket. I think I'll trim down a nut and plan on a little chain stretch to help.

I'm also a probable candidate for one of those "Slant Heads"

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
First thing I did today was try to address my contact issue. I filed a nut down a couple of millimeters and then using a drill as a lathe rounded the points down. The problem is minor I realized as it'll only happen when I'm pedaling. On engine power the pull will shift to the other side and the chain slack misses the nut

Attachments

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Next thing was the chain guard. Worksman bicycles have brackets welded to the frame for their stock chain guards. I did not want to cut these off in case someday I wanted to return this bike to factory condition. I have three Worksman trikes and one is a parts unit. I decided to modify the chain guard from the trike and use it on this build. An unused reflector bracket later and we have a chain guard that looks factory.

The SBP guards are OK but I wanted to be different.

Attachments

Last edited:

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Then came the ignition system. I took the kit spark plug connector all the way down to the brass inside. It still wouldn't make the turn and connect to my short spark plug. I cut plug connector off of a B&S lawn mower. I then carefully opened the crimp with a small screwdriver. I have an 8mm spark plug wire crimp spot on my pliers so I was able to attach it to the kit CDI.

Had to cut down a spark plug tool just to get the plug tightened.

Soldered and heat shrunk the kill switch splices.

Attachments

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
When it came time to set up the throttle and I examined the carburetor and the remaining cable I realized that I made a horrible mistake. I destroyed the adjuster intended for the twist throttle forcing the throttle cable to function as a clutch cable. Major DOH!. What to do now? Checking the threads in the twist throttle I learned that a 3/8-16" US bolt fit perfect. Hand drill and a Dremel later I've got a usable adjuster.

Attachments

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
The Worksman is built. Wahoo!! Waiting to see if Dax will send me a gasket for the fuel shut off valve. Mine was lost when my crew moved my project from ship to shore while I was hospitalized.

I'll fire it up as soon as I can..

This project turned out to be more formidable that putting a Cummins diesel in my Jeep.

Enjoy these pics. I'm proud of how she turned out.

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!WOW!

What an beauty you worked long and hard to get your build perfect from what it shows, please post more pic's.

You built my bike when can you deliver it ha ha.

Worksman bikes are one the best bikes to use for motorizing, strength & beauty combined.

Poor me I'm still waiting for my motor to be delivered.

Congratulations Das Kapitan, you are an inspiration for my worksman, and hopefully for others who will use a worksman for their build.

Peace Crazy Horse!!!

EZMOTORBIKE DEALER
Rockville, Maryland

Attachments

Clotho

May 25, 2008
This is one of the parts in the Chinese kits that people love to hate. Truth is that if you treat them right they will work fine and last a long time. If it fails buy the one from SickBikeParts.com It is far superior.

As a testament to how long they can last my Felt still has the original one installed. So about 1200km so far. The reason these fail is because people over tighten them trying to get them at the 'perfect' angle. So try not to do that. The other reason they fail is because people remove them to check the plastic filter (white plastic in picture). Once again allowing for the opportunity of overtightening and stripping.

My bike has a gas line filter already so I threw the plastic piece away and coated the threads with silicone instant gasket. I made sure the tank was clean and then carefully threaded the petcock into the tank. I have never had a reason to unscrew it and it still works dandy.

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Went to Hardware Hank's and picked up a 3/8" ID nylon washer and some 400 grit sand paper. The washer had 4 circular indents from the molding process. These I wet sanded out. This worked out great for a petcock seal.

Ran the bike yesterday afternoon and it was fun :). Today I'll be adjusting chain tension carb tweaks.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I'm looking to do the same thing with a worksman. I'm thinking about putting a strumey archer
Dyno Hub on it. Any ideas? I have an engine, I think its 80cc, but i'm unsure if it will fit the worksman. What's the dimensions of the frame? thanks.

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
Respuesta: Chrome Worksman Build Up

heY das!

do you by change got your bike with single speed coaster brake and swaped it for a the nuvincy??

i need to know the precise measure on the coaster hub this worksman bring..

im about to ordere a single speed coaster wheel from worksman and i already paid for a clam adapter from jim....so i need the hub meassure to get this going.

cheers,

Arturo

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Echotraveler - I took the coaster brake wheel over to the machine shop to mic the diameter of the hub. The brake arm indicates that mine is a Shimano model CB-E110. The hub is cylindrical and its outer diameter is 1.527"

MaxPower - My Dax "80cc" barely fit. I have about 1/2" to 3/4" total vertical engine adjustment. Read my thread regarding mods I had to make. No Shift Kit No Worksman

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Echotraveler - I took the coaster brake wheel over to the machine shop to mic the diameter of the hub. The brake arm indicates that mine is a Shimano model CB-E110. The hub is cylindrical and its outer diameter is 1.527"

MaxPower - My Dax "80cc" barely fit. I have about 1/2" to 3/4" total vertical engine adjustment. Read my thread regarding mods I had to make. No Shift Kit No Worksman
Das, the picture you posted looks like the engine fits nicely. Is there something I'm missing? Are you suggestion the engine won't fit without a shift kit?

Attachments