choppin 'n' weldin another

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Since losing my my tried and true Electra, I've had to rob parts to finish the Silver bike. Sooo, I've put the bike I robbed from on the table and began again.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL ! Reminds me of back in the 50's when i built a motor bike. I used a piece of pipe that fir the crank bearings & cups, welded it up under the seat Whizzer style. Some how made a shaft to mount sprockets and pulleys on, along with the bearing cones. Worked good ........Curt

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
LOL ! Reminds me of back in the 50's when i built a motor bike. I used a piece of pipe that fir the crank bearings & cups, welded it up under the seat Whizzer style. Some how made a shaft to mount sprockets and pulleys on, along with the bearing cones. Worked good ........Curt
Yeah Curt, another one of my didn't think it though...got all involved in the idea and line'n it up...now umm how do I mount a sprocket...lol...proly lots of grind'n.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, this is my second try at FD. Eye think this might work. The hinge will not. To much wiggle. I'd like to take the 3" roller and have a curve put in to grip the tire more. The setup requires the roller to be compressed with the bolt & nut to cinch it. And when that is done it creates a ( ) that. It no longer is flat.
WP_20171231_15_25_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20171231_15_25_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20171231_15_29_42_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Mark Murphy
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well, this is my second try at FD. Eye think this might work. The hinge will not. To much wiggle. I'd like to take the 3" roller and have a curve put in to grip the tire more. The setup requires the roller to be compressed with the bolt & nut to cinch it. And when that is done it creates a ( ) that. It no longer is flat. View attachment 97107 View attachment 97107 View attachment 97108 View attachment 97108 View attachment 97108 [/QUOT. I'll learn to touch once when loading pics.....

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Nice chainstay stretch. I would sleeve that crank weld though. My buddy tried doing that and his snapped off when he stood up on the pedals... painful

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I must have posted a lot about the belt on my belt drive slipping as that is what it had done for years since I bough a sheave from Ebay for like 45 dollars.

Last Fall I ground away a bump on the inner part of the sheave where there is a butt weld. I guess this was since the sheave is fabricated by extruded metal and it is not round at that point. Then they get it bent to the round and weld the butt joint. No slipping at all ever now, but the top of some steep hills, I either turn around or for a little bit put one foot down a kick a little. Don't want to walk a bike up a hill.

I wonder how much a problem there is with slipping at all with friction drive? Hey maybe a metal part shaped to the curve of the tire for Metal/Rubber contact friction. Then it spins on a hinge spring loaded or bolted on with some degree of pressure?

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
I must have posted a lot about the belt on my belt drive slipping as that is what it had done for years since I bough a sheave from Ebay for like 45 dollars.

Last Fall I ground away a bump on the inner part of the sheave where there is a butt weld. I guess this was since the sheave is fabricated by extruded metal and it is not round at that point. Then they get it bent to the round and weld the butt joint. No slipping at all ever now, but the top of some steep hills, I either turn around or for a little bit put one foot down a kick a little. Don't want to walk a bike up a hill.

I wonder how much a problem there is with slipping at all with friction drive? Hey maybe a metal part shaped to the curve of the tire for Metal/Rubber contact friction. Then it spins on a hinge spring loaded or bolted on with some degree of pressure?
The rubber roller works great. I've just got get a 12 or 14 tooth. I got a 16 and winds out to quick. It's on the back burner. Shifters are the way to go.