cheap tires for friction drive

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
A friction drive bike needs a fairly smooth tire and one that isn't too expensive since we are going to wear them out faster than other drive methods . So where is the best place to get them.

So far I have found that sears and kmart have the least expensive ones around here. I can get pretty much any size for 12.95 it seems from them. Anybody know any less expensive ones. Best I can tell forget ordering them on line the shipping runs the cost up. However I would be willing if you know a cheap place.,

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
I would change out from friction drive all together Deacon.
It is to your benefit to use another type of drive setup. if you still are set to keep it on the front tire, then try a belt drive over the friction, your tires will last longer and your control will be enhanced greatly.
Or you could mount it towards the rear and do a belt drive as well.
Just fuel for thought.

Maximo

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Actually I chose the friction drive for it's simplicity. I am committed to it now. The tire wear isn't that much I started with old tires and for control issues, the engine on the front is a WW which is very lightweight so it isn't and issue. The chainsaws are mounted in the rear and they seem to do okay back there. When moving it is like they don't exist.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I found a really nice smooth slick tire at wally world for $11.

Maximo why do you hate the friction drive so much?

I too love it for it's simplicity. I have the mechanical skills to do a jack shaft/HT/etc but for the lowest price and fastest upstart friction drive is where its at. You don't have to like them by why hate on them?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Only thing they have at my wally mart is the 15 mtb tire. They are just too rough. Tomorrow it is supposed to be nice weather so I'm going to take one of my FRICTION drive bikes to the mall. I'll check in to see if sears has a bike tire that will do.

My bike shop has one for ten bucks but they are not compatible with carrying on a bike. They are not folded up. If I don't find one at sears, I will get my wife to run me over with her car and I'll pick up a couple. The tired under the front mount engine is dry rotted. I thought I might let it run down to see how long it will last with the sandpaper covered wheel.

that wheel pulls good but it has rubber flying everywhere. I think Im gong to have to scrape it off and go with the dimpled drive.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I've looked all over for cheap tires- the wally world here is now out of the really smooth bell cruiser tire and has these with a lozenge pattern- if that makes sense- the pattern only is raised a hair off the tire and I think it would work for a friction drive... I may buy one a my back up replacement. I've decided that I'm going to mount a friction drive on my old really nice Schwinn MTB. I don't ride it so it's just collecting dust. My plan is to get the major parts of the drive set up this weekend. I have a feeling it will be a tad faster than the Madwagon and as much fun to ride!

Target only carried MTB tires- way to rough for my needs.

The KMart around here is out of my way and I haven't checked the bike shop selection- you can always sling it- put one shoulder and you head through and carry it home that way:p

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Poncho villa of the motorbike crowd I can just see it now...

I think i have a tire like the one you describe and it worked okay. Most of the tires I have now came on junker bikes so I have no idea how long a new tire will last.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just bought 2 26x2.125 tires from this guy on ebay both for 18.50 including shipping. If you are looking for some cheap tires I would email him he might have a lot more. He bought out the stock of a failed ebike company it seems. I have an ebay bid in for 2 more. I bid on them before he sent me a second chance offer so he has tires to burn.

[email protected]

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
On 20'' bikes I found the perfect combo for friction drive, although its very heavy it works excellent. I used a maxxis miracle rear tire (very thick), a cheap walmart tire inside of that tire, and a kenda heavy duty tube. Its been lasting forever. I think you can get the miracle in different sizes too, i think it would work good on mtb's since its so thick.

TCBCustoms

Jul 20, 2008
Its very tricky, i dinged up my rim alot from prying it with screw drivers to get it on. Ill take a pic later and post it. Give it a try, it works great.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ill at least give it some thought because it is an interesting idea. You could run your tires down into the casing even.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'll add that I have seen tires at Dunham's Sporting Goods for as low as 6.99.
Check out prices at Dick's and maybe even places like Gander Mountain.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Richard's (AKA Dick's.)Sporting goods here in MA has nothing but mountain bike tires. Though they do have a $25 suspension seat post that I considered getting, but now that I've been riding I think my butt is numb because I don't notice things as badly, just the big bumps.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I live in a small town so it's walmart kmart or ebay for me. I went to kmart for the first time last night and the have a 10 tire there as well as the bike store who already told me when these are gone all replacement tires will be 75% more.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The first two of the four tires I bought on ebay arrived today. They are really nice. Thick thread and reasonably smooth. Also they are 26 x2.125 I put one on the front wheel drive bike this afternoon but I haven't had a change to test drive it. I took the sandpaper drive off and put on one of the tire tread drive wheels to see if it will stay together.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
A friction drive bike needs a fairly smooth tire and one that isn't too expensive since we are going to wear them out faster than other drive methods . So where is the best place to get them.

So far I have found that sears and kmart have the least expensive ones around here. I can get pretty much any size for 12.95 it seems from them. Anybody know any less expensive ones. Best I can tell forget ordering them on line the shipping runs the cost up. However I would be willing if you know a cheap place.,

my bike has cut me up does that mean I am prego with ots babies? lol