Chaining up my GEBE

GoldenMotor.com

appye

Jul 8, 2008
This new GP460 engine is just too much for a GEBE. I want to ride thousands of miles without having to constantly fight with it. I am planning on getting a 9 gauge "as strong as possible" wheel built from wheelmaster, as well as using a disc brake hub mounted sprocket (courtesy of andyinchville1) …

I will be mounting a staton 3.11:1 compact drive to the same place my GEBE clutch housing currently mounts. Hopefully, I’ll be using a 72 tooth driven sprocket with a variety of 9-14 tooth drive sprockets so I can find the ratios I want for best cruising mpg and happiest mountain riding.

I may yet be getting that Dominator pipe as well. We shall see, it depends on how my own design for an exhaust goes… more on that later.

... I have attached a picture that should explain what I want to do. Basically I want to have a two speed system where I mount two sprockets on the output shaft, similar to the way kerf did his two speed. As far as making a shifter and all that, I will hold off for now. I will have to stop the bike, get out my wrench, loosen the tensioner, and move the chain to the sprocket I want.

Basically, I have created this thread because I have for sure decided to do this now and I wanted to get some opinions from people as to what kinds of problems they see with my diagram or with the setup in general. If I only had the knowledge last year that I have now, I would already be riding this beast! This community is awesome.

Attachments

hawaiioutdoors

Jun 18, 2008
I mounted my GEBE Tanaka 40cc on a Full suspension Mountain bike, and am having trouble with the GEBE proprietary Kevlar belt. I wanted to run a fatter back tire to absorb the pot-holes of the dirt roads I ride, but it rubs the belt and throws it off. Also when the suspension goes up and down the belt tensioner cant cope with the change and the belts gets thrown. I chewed threw 3 belts in 3 months... at $40 a pop, it is getting expensive. I WANT TO GO CHAIN.

Your chain tensioner should push the other way, so that the small drive sprocket on your engine can grab with more teeth... the way you have it now, pushing out, might cause the the little sprocket to strip or damage your chain... Just my opinion.