chain snapped

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
my chain snapped wile i was taking a test ride with the replaced sprocket assembly and i can not figure out why it snapped it was running smooth no tick or clink sound just smooth rolling over all. i got on the road and not even 5 min in it snapped locked the rear wheel . i am having some serious bud luck with this bike.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Which chain are you using? Standards from kit to kit are very different, I run #41 chain I buy at tractor supply, the chain on my black bike is 8 years old.

Reactions: allen standley

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
Which chain are you using? Standards from kit to kit are very different, I run #41 chain I buy at tractor supply, the chain on my black bike is 8 years old.
i got the upgraded one #415.
but i tried to fix it this morning and again it broke off at my chain lock piece..now i have 2 of them on there because i fixed the chain with another one when it broke the first time. but it seems to be a problem after i put that cnc sprocket assembly on it. the chain seems to be on straight.....so i am just wondering now if that second chain lock might not be the problem kind of strange it broke again at same spot.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
If you haven't done so already, check these:
Have you installed the chain master link correct way round? Open end of master link must face rearwards on the upper run of the chain.
Is your rear sprocket adapter installed correctly on the rear hub so the sprocket is aligned correctly with the motor's output sprocket? Use a straight edge - a long straight piece of wood or metal will suffice - resting across the face of both motor and rear sprocket to check. Straight edge should sit flat on the face of both. Adjust position of rear sprocket adapter on hub till sprockets are aligned.
Is your chain correctly tensioned? Chain tensioner is a MUST have. Should be adjusted so there's approx. one inch of up/down chain movement when pressed with your finger.

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
If you haven't done so already, check these:
Have you installed the chain master link correct way round? Open end of master link must face rearwards on the upper run of the chain.
Is your rear sprocket adapter installed correctly on the rear hub so the sprocket is aligned correctly with the motor's output sprocket? Use a straight edge - a long straight piece of wood or metal will suffice - resting across the face of both motor and rear sprocket to check. Straight edge should sit flat on the face of both. Adjust position of rear sprocket adapter on hub till sprockets are aligned.
Is your chain correctly tensioned? Chain tensioner is a MUST have. Should be adjusted so there's approx. one inch of up/down chain movement when pressed with your finger.
yes i had the master chain link the right way...the funny thing is that the original one is still on there it broke again on the same spot that i put another master chain link on to fix the broken chain

Reactions: PeteMcP

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
just ordered a new 415 heavy duty chain and a spring chain tension when that comes in i will line it all up front to back and see if that works.

Reactions: PeteMcP