Chain needs to be aligned better, but how?

GoldenMotor.com

jeffreykogan

Mar 1, 2021
Hi, I was trying to align the chain that ran from my rear wheel sprocket to my drive sprocket and I have been unsuccessful. The drive sprocket is making the chain almost touch the tire, and is too far in (meaning the rear wheel sprocket sticks out further). I have already adjusted the motor to be as far out as possible, but the drive sprocket is still too far in. What would you recommend?

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My opinion, with what little I know about your setup:

Redrill your motor mount plate, so the engine sits further left and forward or rearward, or

change the TAV2 aluminum plate with a steel TAV2 plate, so that the sprocket's a fraction of an inch to the left, or

machine the shaft, so the sprocket locates to the left of the plate.

You could use a thinner chain and sprockets, like 1/2" x 1/8" BMX chain.

Also, get a dished rear sprocket, so the chain line can be adjusted.

You could research both forums.
I'm pretty sure someone else had this problem, and fixed it.

Good luck.
You are SO close.

Reactions: jeffreykogan

jeffreykogan

Mar 1, 2021
My opinion, with what little I know about your setup:

Redrill your motor mount plate, so the engine sits further left and forward or rearward, or

change the TAV2 aluminum plate with a steel TAV2 plate, so that the sprocket's a fraction of an inch to the left, or

machine the shaft, so the sprocket locates to the left of the plate.

You could use a thinner chain and sprockets, like 1/2" x 1/8" BMX chain.

Also, get a dished rear sprocket, so the chain line can be adjusted.

You could research both forums.
I'm pretty sure someone else had this problem, and fixed it.

Good luck.
You are SO close.
Okay so I ended up tightening down the rear wheel sprocket to a ludicrous amount, which pressed the sprocket closer to the spokes. I am also getting a thinner chain. I think this might work. Every finger I have is crossed.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Your drive sprocket is VERY close to the bike's frame.

Yes, a thinner chain would help.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Your choices are: (1) remount your engine so that the chain won't hit the tire, (2) get a sprocket adapter for the rear sprocket that will make the rear sprocket sit further away from the spokes, (3) get a more narrow rear tire, (4) dump the bulky 415 chain and get a really strong and thinner BMX chain, I like the BMX chain better because it flows through my engine sprocket with less drag.