Chain jumping/sticking problem!

GoldenMotor.com

Dominic

Oct 7, 2018
Hey guys! I'm new to this stuff but I managed to piece together my own gas bike and it worked fine for a couple of days. Suddenly both the chains on my bikes popped or something. The chain for my pedal sprocket came loose even when i attached it back properly it had more slag then usual. Before it was perfectly tight. Secondly the chain connecting to my engine now started to make a click and get kinda stuck. Even when the clutch was disengaged it would roll then click and become hard to move then just start rolling again fine. **** I can still actually use the bike but I dont wan't to out of fear of damaging it and just general danger. I checked the clutch, chain tensioner and double checked my chain alignment. Everything seems fine? The **** could it be? If anyone replies because I dont know if im wasting my time i will post pictures and videos. Thanks in advance anyone!

Willis617

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for posting this, I'm near completion of my first build and was thinking i may need to fabricate something to prevent this from happening, now i have my answer

Reactions: Dominic

Dominic

Oct 7, 2018
I'm hoping a good ol re tighten will work. Think I might get better nuts though

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, tightening the axle will help, but where is your derailleur and your tensioner???

Dominic

Oct 7, 2018
I took the derailleur off and cut the chain down to permanently fit into the third set of teeth on one sprocket and the second on the other to make it single speed. My bike tensioner is removed only until i tighten my axle. After that I am re-installing it. Hopefully this aligns everything back up. Before it was entirely perfect.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Looking at the bottom picture you posted it appears that you have the order wrong on the sprocket adaptor "rubber sandwich". From the inside out, the sequence is nut, metal crescents, rubber, spokes, rubber, and then finally the sprocket. Then the bolts go through all of that.

Looks like you have rubber on the outside of the sprocket. The spokes seem to be directly against the sprocket. This could be causing you some problems.

please excuse me if I am incorrect.

Dominic

Oct 7, 2018
You're entirely right, I plan on fixing that tomorrow. For now i got the noise to stop and the chain runs smooth again just from pulling back the tire and tightening it.

BrandFord2140

Oct 19, 2019
I have a question about my own I was just on a ride my chain jammed in the engine tight enough so it wouldn't let the bicycle roll forward or backwards can I have some kind of idea of what happened cuz it's done that to me since I got it on the road and this is a kit I bought off the internet it's a 48cc 44 tooth rear sprocket 9 tooth drive sprocket with a custom spring tensioner on the chain if need be I can post pictures