Centrifugal clutch bearings problem

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Howdy, motorbikers! After more than six months of absence, I'm trying to get back into motor bicycling.

So here's my problem:

I got a centrifugal clutch for christmas, and I'd really like to install it because then I don't have to deal with peddling, my problematic bike chain, etc.

Well, I meddle with things a little too much. I wanted to open up the centrifugal clutch to see how it works, and I paid the price for it.

I pulled out the housing for the cylindrical bearings, and I can't seem to get it back in! No matter what the configuration of the bearings, I can't get the housing to fit and I can't get the shaft thing to fit around the bearings.

I've ignored this for months, but I'd like to solve this once and for all.

Here's an image of what I've got.

The bearings are pulled out.

Here are the bearings placed inside the bearing housing and attempted placing it back inside the cent clutch housing(the thing with the small gear on the outside):

As you can see, it doesn't fit all the way in, and the shaft that goes through it and fits into the cent clutch doesn't fit through. I can't tell whether it is catching on a bearing or what.

Also, I think I'm missing that metal spring thing that you usually see hanging out of the actual cent clutch housing. Is that thing actually necessary?

Sorry if I'm a little vague, but it's been a while and I'll try and figure out more information.

EDIT: The most I can get back in place are 4, but the 5th one never fits. Even then, I can't be certain that the housing will fit.

I'm thinking I might have to grind the clutch housing a little bit in order to fit in the 5th bearing. Would this negatively effect the function of the centrifugal clutch?

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've finally solved my issue! So for anyone reading this thread who has the same problem, here's what I did.

All of the 5 bearings are slightly different heights and diameters, and they need to be in the right grooves on the clutch pack housing for the drive cylinder to fit through.

What I first did was put the cylinder through the clutch pack housing without any of the bearings or the bearing housing being in place. Then I tried to fit in each of the bearings one by one until I couldn't fit in any more. Adding some moly grease helps a lot. I found that most of the time, I could fit in 4 of the bearings but the 5th would be too big. If that's the case, try to find another of the already-placed bearings of the smallest diameter, and try swapping it with the bearing that couldn't fit. If you try this a few times, you will eventually be able to fit all of them in. It helps to mark them each with a different permanent marker in case they have to come out again. Then slide on the bearing housing, and the rest is up to you.

It is possible to fix, but it's a huge pain in the arse and when I tried to fix it months ago, I tried for a week to figure out how to get the bearings back in. Now it took me only a day! Oh well. Now I can get working on my bike again.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Okay, I have another question.

What is that spring thing that connect the bearing housing to the bell?

I'm talking about that piece of wire you can see going through one of the holes in the bell.

I have lost mine. Is it important? From what I can tell, it really doesn't do much except hold the housing in place when the clutch has been taken apart.