Carburetor Law

GoldenMotor.com

SoldierBoy

Feb 5, 2014
United States
thats just 200 for the engine kit not includeing the head lights and taillights another 20 the plate another 20 then the m1/m2 more money i also need a bike so yea adds up fast

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
When I was your age I was offered five different apprenticeships,
I could have been an Auto electrician, Spray painter, lines man or house wiring sparky.
And that was just the what was offered to me before I chose to be an Eletrical Instrument Fitter.
However I had been working in my fathers Small town Mechanical shop since I was probably 12. I worked there just for parts for my car. The only money I received was for small tedious jobs that my father didn't want to know about, and I would charge people $5 for 1/2 an hour or more of messing around with some old piece of crap that they probably couldn't afford to pay properly for.
I was very lucky, a lot of my mates couldn't afford to live of the $130 a week that was a first year apprentice wage at the time and gave up there apprenticeships to work as a shop assistant getting payed twice what I was.
Things have changed a lot since then!
And the opportunity's that I had were rare then.
Since then I have only survived with out having to go away for work because I've been willing to do just about anything for what ever my friends can afford to pay.
A lot of my mates now have to work away just to keep there mortgage.
All I'm saying is don't be too fussy.
If you show a good attitude to work, people will offer you better jobs.
While I was Flipping burgers recovering from a broken Femur, I was offered a job as a tour Guide, walking rough terrain. It hurt, but it was better than flipping burgers.
Mate if you got no skills to get your self the job you want, volunteer.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
As a young kid I didn't have much ,there were 5 kids in my family so money was always tight , if you wanted something you had to work hard for it ,but god damn it's one **** of a rewarding feeling when you skrimp and save every last penny to save for something and finally get it , mate I spent countless hours scrubbing cars ,mowing lawns ,walking dogs ,weeding and the list goes on .
I'll be honest in saying that's the problem with kids nowadays ,everything is handed to them on a silver platter ,theirs no work for what you earn and earn for what you work
When you work for something and finally get it you appreciate it more as well , it's a hard life lesson that needs to be learned and all to often the kids of nowadays have no concept of it . My advice is to work for a motor and buy a good one ,don't go for cheap pirated motors as they cost more in maintenance and everyday care
Look at what I did as an example ,i went to an op shop ,purchased a cheap bike and I built a motorized bicycle build with money I had saved , looked after it and spent a lot of time and work maintaining it ( my dream was a cruizer) eventually I sold this bike , built another and sold that too ,after 3 builds I had enough to purchase a cruizer frame , I then worked for a month on weekends labouring ( whilst my mates went out and drunk and had fun) but as it would be bills and such the money was used for the house.
After 6 months of my cruizer frame sitting in its box I'd saved $10 here and $20 there to afford a good motor instead of buying lunches and drinks , put it together and I finally have what I wanted ,it took over 12 months to get it but the hard work and sacrifice I put in to get it makes me appreciate it a whole lot more ,something a lot of us older members will know, but sadly not so for the younger generation

Regards Henshooter

SoldierBoy

Feb 5, 2014
United States
When I was your age I was offered five different apprenticeships,
I could have been an Auto electrician, Spray painter, lines man or house wiring sparky.
And that was just the what was offered to me before I chose to be an Eletrical Instrument Fitter.
However I had been working in my fathers Small town Mechanical shop since I was probably 12. I worked there just for parts for my car. The only money I received was for small tedious jobs that my father didn't want to know about, and I would charge people $5 for 1/2 an hour or more of messing around with some old piece of crap that they probably couldn't afford to pay properly for.
I was very lucky, a lot of my mates couldn't afford to live of the $130 a week that was a first year apprentice wage at the time and gave up there apprenticeships to work as a shop assistant getting payed twice what I was.
Things have changed a lot since then!
And the opportunity's that I had were rare then.
Since then I have only survived with out having to go away for work because I've been willing to do just about anything for what ever my friends can afford to pay.
A lot of my mates now have to work away just to keep there mortgage.
All I'm saying is don't be too fussy.
If you show a good attitude to work, people will offer you better jobs.
While I was Flipping burgers recovering from a broken Femur, I was offered a job as a tour Guide, walking rough terrain. It hurt, but it was better than flipping burgers.
Mate if you got no skills to get your self the job you want, volunteer.
and how long ago was that ar we talking 20 30 years ago

SoldierBoy

Feb 5, 2014
United States
i have constructions skills landscaping skills but i live in california not to be mean but you get my point a lot of workers getting paid 5$ an hour are doing landscaping and mowing lawns that i dont even have a lawn mower lol but i have good drive to find a job and hold it down not afraid to get my hands dirty if needed but finding one is a whole different story

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'm 40, finding a good job in the small town where I live isn't that easy either these days. And I certainly don't get payed what I'm worth. However I do love my job and the people I work with. And am appreciated for what I do.
A few years back (before I had a horse riding accident) I would earn a $1000 a week, these days I don't earn half that, but I can't/don't work as hard either.
I was fairly careful with my money and put as much as I could into my house and property, So these days I don't really need to work as hard as I use to, but I don't have money to blow on toys, all my bikes came from the local tip except one that I payed $100 for. All my motors are $150 Ebay motors except an old RSE that I got for a mowing job and rebuilt. I recently had to part with a lot of my toys when I moved to a smaller property without a proper shed to store it all and so these motors have been bought with money from selling previous toys.

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
i have constructions skills landscaping skills but i live in california not to be mean but you get my point a lot of workers getting paid 5$ an hour are doing landscaping and mowing lawns that i dont even have a lawn mower lol but i have good drive to find a job and hold it down not afraid to get my hands dirty if needed but finding one is a whole different story
We all understand where your coming from mate , it's part of the economy nowadays but when you look at it that way it gets you down, there are always jobs that are available ,yes you may only get paid a pittance but work hard and well and it will surprise you that with hard work comes reward.
Go out there put yourself in the middle and work work work , I understand you are finding it hard to get a job but here's and idea that worked for me ,try it and see how you go
At 19 I was made redundant when the carpentry business I worked for closed down , I went to a local supermarket and spoke to the manager , I said put me on for 2 weeks and at the end of it if you don't like it tell me to walk and don't pay me , I worked my butt off ,no matter what they wanted done ,I did it . After 2 weeks they payed me ,it wasn't much nut I appreciated it
After 3 months of cleaning they placed me on register ,after 3 months of this I was put on shelf stocking , and so on and so forth ,after 2 years of this I was made a manager of produce with a salary ,it took hard work and determination but I did it
That's what working is all about !!!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm pretty sure you'll be a lot better off buying a complete, already made used china girl. I'm willing to bet you can find one in Cali. Building your own will cost more.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
There's a saying I've found true.... it's easier to get a job if you have a job. Take whatever you can get (even if you have to swallow your pride - remember, pride won't keep you fed) and doors will start opening. In addition, based on the skills you mention, print out a flyer with your number on it and spread it around saying "Local Handy-guy will build it/fix it/paint it or plant it for you! Free Consultations!" You may end up burning an hour here and there that doesn't turn in to a day's work, but if you're good and you back your work it'll grow quickly.

The last long-term job I had started pretty much at the end of the interview when the manager asked when I could start. I looked at my watch and asked if there was enough time left in thier workday right now to be useful. (Unfortunately, it was ½ an hour to quitting time. But I did meet the guys and start the next morning.)

Above all, though, is mood and attitude. I know it's rough. I'm unemployed with no payments coming in, too. Some days are hard, others are worse.

Good or bad, remember, when you roll out of bed:

Every day is an adventure. What kind is up to you.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I'm pretty sure you'll be a lot better off buying a complete, already made used china girl. I'm willing to bet you can find one in Cali. Building your own will cost more.
Agreed , here's a post I did earlier with a few rules when buying a premade kit Soldierboy http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=53585&highlight=Byers+beware

Be sure to complete this checklist and I'm sure you will find a good prebuilt kit
Just be wary it can be a lesson in futility

Regards Henshooter

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Here in OZ Roof Gutter Cleaning is a good place to start, Few people want to get on there roof, And will often have something else for you to do while your there.

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
Soldierboy,
I grew up in in the 50's in an area where jobs for kids were pretty much non existent if you were under 14. Child labor laws...
Anyway, for money I'd pick up bottles and return them for a penny a piece, collect what ever scrap metal I could find & sell it for $0.015 a lb., picked & sold black berries for $0.25 a quart in season, just a few examples of what I'd do to make some money...
Today with the Ca. bottle return it doesn't take many to make a buck. Aluminum cans are good a cash crop. Think outside the box & come up with something others won't demean themselves to do. You might get paid well to do it.
If nothing else, just go door to door, tell the people where you live who you are and that you're trying to make some money. Do they have any little jobs they need done? If they do, don't say you'll do it for X $'s, let them offer to pay you and accept it unless the offer is totally ridiculous, then haggle a bit.
It's worked for me plenty of times & I still get calls from folks younger & older than me when they need something done. Helps supplement my Social Security since my retirement account ended up in some Wall Street SOB's pocket.
Don't think I'm being critical of you, I'm not. I grew up moderately poor, so beyond the basic's that my folks could provide I had to get extra's for myself.
Dave