Carburetor keeps coming loose

GoldenMotor.com

Zeeb

Apr 10, 2018
So, .... I built a kit bike with offset carburetor intake tube (bike has a short frame) and had to sand/file the end of the tube down so the carburetor could fit over it.

That unfortunately left me with a loose carburetor. I've tried wrapping silicone tape and teflon tape around the intake tube, at different times, trying to make a tight seal between tube and carburetor.

Neither strategy worked. Carb eventually comes loose again.

Any ideas on this one? I'm frustrated and considering coating the intake tube in JB Weld.

I need something that will keep a tight fit, and be compatible with gasoline (RTV gasket maker, for the record, is not. Otherwise this would have been the perfect solution).

Thanks!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, never seen one that needed sanding - maybe a factory error?

have seen guys jb-weld them on when bent or broken so that carb/intake is forevermore a single unit, but that isn't worth the hassle

Zeeb

Apr 10, 2018
Hmm.. you think another intake wont be too big? I sanded it down slightly too small for a reason. Sanding produces out-of- round error, such that soft filler material is needed to eliminate vacuum leaks. Hence why i wanted a little wiggle room between carb and intake.

Ideally, i correct size intake eliminates this concern, if one is available.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This is confusing to me, can you take a couple of pictures? Did you sand down the intake because the carb hit the frame?