Can't Get in touch with Pat at Sportsman Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Have a drop loop Worksman frame (I think which is built by Sportsman Flyer) but want a motor mount which SF shows but can't get through to Pat or SF. Still in business? I can build a mount but am in a hurry and was going shortcut a pre made mount. Anyone here made a bolt on mount for the Worksman drop loop frame? I am building a tribute Flying Merkel with the banana oil/gas tank. Going to use a china engine for now but will probably upgrade later, right now I need something running in less than sixty days.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
His website is still up & running... & it looks like the parts you need are still available.
Try calling the number on the site, or simply order the parts & see what happens.
Pat's always been an honest guy, so I think you'll be OK!

If something has happened to him (& you never get your parts), your credit card company will cover you.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Hoodoo,
I'm out there and did receive your message. I pretty much only sell the mount with the complete install kit. Lots of people trying to fit my parts where they just don't fit makes life difficult for me. I need to make more two stroke mounts but probably won't get to it for a few weeks. Send me an email and we can discuss further.
Thanks,
Pat

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hi Hoodoo,
I'm out there and did receive your message. I pretty much only sell the mount with the complete install kit. Lots of people trying to fit my parts where they just don't fit makes life difficult for me. I need to make more two stroke mounts but probably won't get to it for a few weeks. Send me an email and we can discuss further.
Thanks,
Pat
Thank you Pat I will email again.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
hoodoo.
Show us the Head Badge. I am looking at a unlugged frame assembly.

Well Pat, yer wanna be's wanna be. ;)

Tom
Don't know what you are referring to Tom. What does unlugged mean? I bought the frame from Worksman in the white (got no discount) (not painted or primed) as I want to paint it "Merkel Orange" or something close enough. I did not like Worksman's "safety orange" and it would be too hard to color match other parts.

Last edited:

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Here is the current status of the "build" showing the faux Flying Merkel racer tank with test parts from an off brand cruiser bike temporarily added to check the frame fit (handlebars, seat, pedal crank and all, wheels), which will all be replaced. I have never used a worksman drop loop frame before. Actually this is my third bike starting in 2008. Used a Husky frame first (not happy with it gave it to a friend who is rebuilding it into a Wanderer style German vintage style bike from WWI), then in 2009 took a regular Worksman industrial bike frame and my welder cousin lengthened the bike to 78" total and gave it a drop loop which unintentionally looks like a real 1909 Thor IV drop loop, called it my "Hardley Davidson", has been running great for 13-14 years (low mileage). This was before I found out about Pat's drop loop frames...however only recently decided to built another bike, this time using an unmodified Worksman/SF drop loop frame although we did remove the chain guard mount and accidentally the tensioner mount (due to ignorance) which we have to reinstall or use an aftermarket spring loaded tensioner (I like spring tensioners anyways have one on my full scale model WWI Tank). There is a small fuel tank inside the faux Merkel fuel/oil tank. I was not going to add a rear fender but it appears the non-board track racers of this era may have had rear fenders. I am no expert on the era...

Attachments

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Sorry hoodoo, after a few I can get a bit testy. I opened up the OP photo today and screwed up the mag. and saw the tensioner tab.
Head badge for your Merkel.
View attachment 112833
Wow! I need to replicate that some how and mount it on the "Merkel", not that it would pass for a real Merkel but it certainly would please the folks that come to our semi-annual events in Kingsbury, Texas. Could just simplify it and see if my friend with a laser cutter could replicate it for attachment. Maybe somebody has done it. Merkels are very popular with the full scale replica crowd.

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Took a snoop around , you predate me by a decade on this forum hoodoo.
Seems you and Pat go back a long way. The Sportsman 2 stink engine mount is as elegant as they get.
Would you be so kind as to give us a tour of your shop?

Tom

Reactions: indian22