Can someone Explain this PLEASE

GoldenMotor.com

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
How can we both Pedal AND run our engine on motorized bikes? If everything is connected at the hub/spokes, aren't all the gears turning, even up to the engine?

Think about this:

I'm pedaling, my engine is off, so my right hand sprocket, attacked to my pedal crankarm, is turning. This pedal is chained to the freewheel hub. Now hear this: the hub is turning, and my Rear sprocket hub, the one that's driven by the engine, is also mounted on this. Doesn't this hub moving forward engage my rear sprocket, thus causing my engine drivetrain to be engaged just by me pedaling? Would I need a freewheel rear sprocket in that case?

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
Hmm, I'm an idiot. The CLUTCH is never engaged, so essentially the engine transmission sprocket is just free spinning, BUT, in my defense, there is a a huge frictional load the whole whey, increasing pedal effort tremendously

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Hmm, I'm an idiot. The CLUTCH is never engaged, so essentially the engine transmission sprocket is just free spinning, BUT, in my defense, there is a a huge frictional load the whole whey, increasing pedal effort tremendously
Prince, to switch from engine power to pedal power and ditch the huge chain drag install one of these free wheeling sprockets. I have one on my Cruiser and I find it works great.

Attachments

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
Prince, to switch from engine power to pedal power and ditch the huge chain drag install one of these free wheeling sprockets. I have one on my Cruiser and I find it works great.
Hi there, could you please link that to where I could purchase one or look into it? Thanks!

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
I found the item: https://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/hybriped-hybrid-pedal-sprocket.html
It seems kind of meh...you have to insert and reinsert pins everytime you want to use pedal power, because of the bidriectional freewheel. Any idea where to get a unidirectional freewheel system?

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
I found the item: https://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/hybriped-hybrid-pedal-sprocket.html
It seems kind of meh...you have to insert and reinsert pins everytime you want to use pedal power, because of the bidriectional freewheel. Any idea where to get a unidirectional freewheel system?
Prince, no sorry, I have not seen anything like that. In the beginning I mused about having the pins that could be inserted remotely though a solenoid and slip ring arrangement but after I started to get some experience manual insertion and extraction proved to be not much of an issue; requiring only a second or two to dismount and push them in or pull them out. Now I have so much confidence that I only use one pin.

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
Prince, no sorry, I have not seen anything like that. In the beginning I mused about having the pins that could be inserted remotely though a solenoid and slip ring arrangement but after I started to get some experience manual insertion and extraction proved to be not much of an issue; requiring only a second or two to dismount and push them in or pull them out. Now I have so much confidence that I only use one pin.
@Davideo Do you personally think the hub mounted rear sprocket is overhyped? Like, have you ever had bent spokes using your bike? I want a CNC machined rear hub adapter for my 50T rear sprocket, but Im finding that I could really damage my hub that way, and, essentially, my bike is driven entirely by contact friction as opposed to the spoke driven one, but i AM afraid of bending spokes...

What's your take? I want to at least get to 30MPH without my rear hub slipping, or my spokes breaking (i wont RIDE at 30MPH, I just want to have that top end :)

Reactions: Davideo

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
@Davideo Do you personally think the hub mounted rear sprocket is overhyped? Like, have you ever had bent spokes using your bike? I want a CNC machined rear hub adapter for my 50T rear sprocket, but Im finding that I could really damage my hub that way, and, essentially, my bike is driven entirely by contact friction as opposed to the spoke driven one, but i AM afraid of bending spokes...

What's your take? I want to at least get to 30MPH without my rear hub slipping, or my spokes breaking (i wont RIDE at 30MPH, I just want to have that top end :)
Prince, I am not sure that I would agree that they are over hyped, They are the best solution that I have tried so far. Come to think of it, I do have a system for single free wheeling of the engine drive chain that I am working on but to date have not mounted it on a bike.
I have had bent spokes from drive chain jumping off the big rear 44 T sprocket and wedging down between the sprocket and the spokes. My experience with hub adapters was not that good either. I found that they slip on the hub and the through bolts ended up bearing up against the spokes which I thought was not a good idea. There are so many attachment bolts with the Hybrid Pedal Sprocket that the spokes are safe from bending. Top speed is not an issue with me because I am too much of a chicken to ride any faster than 20 mph on my bicycle.

Last edited:

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
Prince, I am not sure that I would agree that they are over hyped, They are the best solution that I have tried so far. Come to think of it, I do have a system for single free wheeling of the engine drive chain that I am working on but to date have not mounted it on a bike.
I have had bent spokes from drive chain jumping off the big rear 44 T sprocket and wedging down between the sprocket and the spokes. My experience with hub adapters was not that good either. I found that they slip on the hub and the through bolts ended up bearing up against the spokes which I thought was not a good idea. There are so many attachment bolts with the Hybrid Pedal Sprocket that the spokes are safe from bending. Top speed is not an issue with me because I am too much of a chicken to ride any faster than 20 mph on my bicycle.
So, between spoke and hub rear sprocket mount, what would you recommend for me? I ride a 20" BMX bike, and I could possibly get titanium spokes...

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
So, between spoke and hub rear sprocket mount, what would you recommend for me? I ride a 20" BMX bike, and I could possibly get titanium spokes...
I am not an expert in this field but I think, if you are lucky enough to find a hub adapter that fits your hub perfectly and can be tightened down enough to transmit the driving torque through friction without slipping I would say go with it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Didn’t you mention to me that you’d be willing to run your bike without pedals?

Well, pedaling with noticeable (not tremendous) effort is better than no pedals.

I’d recommend you run the bike as it is now.

With the engine running, you won’t feel the drag.

When you feel the noticeable drag, just give it throttle.

If for some reason you just want to pedal, remove the 415 chain.....

or buy the pinned rear sprocket.

CrimsonPrince

Mar 6, 2020
Didn’t you mention to me that you’d be willing to run your bike without pedals?

Well, pedaling with noticeable (not tremendous) effort is better than no pedals.

I’d recommend you run the bike as it is now.

With the engine running, you won’t feel the drag.

When you feel the noticeable drag, just give it throttle.

If for some reason you just want to pedal, remove the 415 chain.....

or buy the pinned rear sprocket.
Right, I was willing to ride without pedals because I thought, with the current state of the build at that time, I would have had to ultimately choose to either have no pedal power and an engine, or shifted pedal assembly (to allow for the engine to sit midframe) which would throw me way off balance while pedaling. I decided that this all can be overcome with a welded spindle, which is what I will aim for now!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Installing a mid-engine will definitely change the dynamics of pedaling a BMX bike.

You might not be able to lean forward, stand up and pedal.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You will not be alone, when all of your drive line is in gear constantly.

With the exception of shift kits, 99.9% of all engine installations have this gear dragging, while the riders pedal or coast.

China Girls are worse.
Their clutches are constantly engaged, until you squeeze the clutch lever.