butane/propane tanks.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Does anybody know anything about propane torch tanks. I loaned (never to be seen again) torch kit to my son in law. I am trying to find out what the liquid volume of the tank might be. I am considering using one as a gas tank on a bike.

Thanks

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
good call d- The look like they are a little larger than a liter, maybe like a liter and a half?, if you compare them to those aluminum or steel water bottles, size wise they are a little larger. It probably wouldn't be too hard to cap that off and tap a hole into it for a petcock or some other barb.... just make sure it's really really empty when you do it, would suck if it exploded while drilling...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
"would suck if it exploded while drilling..."

Now there is the biggest understatement of the week lol. My plan was to buy a new one, puncture the seal allow all the gas to escape, then drill two holes for the weed eater lines in the top. Make the cap vented and just use it. I "LOANED" my torch kit to my son in law. (Gone into the black hole that is his world). The bottles are cheap enough at Lowe's. You know like three bucks. They should attach to the seat down rod with a hose clamp.

How is the best way to empty them anybody have a guess. I was thinking just drive a nail down the seal under the cap.

If you were using a quarter inch line (i'm not) I bet you could side it own over the cut off end of a regular valved torch head. Just a guess. The Chainsaws and WW don't need a cutoff.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Danger Danger Will Robinson!!!! They are pretty high pressure, more so than a spray can.
I would advise againts puncturing any part of one PERIOD!
There are a million more suitable way to make a tank than that!!!!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah say it ain't so Joe. I did it and I'm still more or less alive. Here is what I did to survive. First of all I didn't drive the nail into it.

1. Buy the tank from home depot for $2.95
2. Examine it carefully. Under the white cap there is a push pin valve.
3. Very important do NOT use a finishing nail to push it down. At least don't hold it in your finger while you do. The gas comes out a lot like freon. Much colder than a stepmother's kiss.
4. Do put your finishing nail into a pair of vise grips sideways. Keep your hand out of the stream of gas.
5. MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETELY EMPTY.
6. Drill a 3/8 inch hole into the tank through the main opening.
7. Drill an 11/64 hole down the smaller opening.
8. Use electrical tape to make an X where you want to drill the second hole. Drill it through the tape. It will keep your bit from slipping out of place.

you should be able to attach this to the seat down rod with a hose clamp or two.

Wash and thoroughly dry the tank. Now I have to figure out how to get a fuel filer either inside that very small opening or I have to find or make an inline one.

PS it holds 32oz of liquid. I did have to epoxy a different top on to use a cap. that one didn't fit anything. I just cut the top out of a plastic canteen I had laying about used some stuff to make it fit then epoxied it to the outside of the opening on top.