But plug, what plug, spark plug.

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Ok heres one for ya guys.

Ive got an anbull 80 cc, niome flex pipe, stock carb, original jet (70), ngk stock plug, running 87 octane, Husqvarna two stroke oil mixed about 40 to 1. Nothing special...

I was playing with spark plug gap today and found that it runs best Gapped at .51 from idle to wot purs like a kitten.

Every thing I read said to Gap it at 22 - 25. Why is it running smoother than ever better than it ever has?

If it's supposed to be gapping at .22 to .25 then .51 should definitely make it Miss or not start... but it do...

Why it do dat doe? Any ideas?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Ok heres one for ya guys.

Ive got an anbull 80 cc, niome flex pipe, stock carb, original jet (70), ngk stock plug, running 87 octane, Husqvarna two stroke oil mixed about 40 to 1. Nothing special...

I was playing with spark plug gap today and found that it runs best Gapped at .51 from idle to wot purs like a kitten.

Every thing I read said to Gap it at 22 - 25. Why is it running smoother than ever better than it ever has?

If it's supposed to be gapping at .22 to .25 then .51 should definitely make it Miss or not start... but it do...

Why it do dat doe? Any ideas?
Probably just your low compression engine and a poor air fuel fix
A larger gap is making a fatter longer spark but weaker
A longer fatter spark Gives the air fuel a better chance at full combustion.
A tuned engine don't need a fatter longer spark for combustion it likes a short intense powerful spark of .027" The S/P lasts longer, It don't last long with a wide gap
NGK S/P range is .020" - .040"

.050"is too big and soon your gonna get misfires The spark will miss the electrode at high Rpms and hit the sides of the S/P, Now its a very weak bad spark causing misfires.

If your engine is happy with a large S/P gap Set it at .040" the S/P won't misfire soon as if it was set at .050"

Or maybe the S/P is old and worn, a large S/P gap helps in that situation

Or if it's cold out, A large S/P gap helps in those situations, Because the air is dense and a longer fatter spark helps combustion in cold weather

Set it at .040" and be happy

Last edited:

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I have to agree with wrench... Same as putting in a really big jet with a vaccume leak... It runs best half assed when everything else is half ass and if you fix one thing you have to fix everything... I would think a wide plug gap would help in high rpm but act cold and want to stumble to get there... And a tight gap would start easier and fall on its face hi rev... It's a mystery motor...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think Wrench nailed it on several points!! (the large gap is probably working better with the poor condition of your engine).

Larry Trotter also has a good point... (if it works, it works)

If your engine is running better with a large gap; I'd go with a .040" (& not .050" because that's simply too big)

I have a old VW bus with a healthy 2180cc engine & MSD in it... I tried different S/P gaps in it & I could feel a real difference in power when I gapped it from .035" down to .028" (.028" was much better)!

Here's some good reading... Spark Plug Gap - How's Your Gap? (motortrend.com)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The Bosh 8 is a ngk 6 heat range ... 7/7 a Bosh 9 is ngk 5 because they get hotter the higher the number and ngk get hotter the lower the #... I have some Russian made super plugs with the blue rings I might have a green Germany one for a car show or something dub
Actually... Bosch #W8AC is equal to a NGK #B5HS
I know this because either of these are the correct plug for my VW bus... (old VWs like hot plugs) :)

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Thank you everyone who gave me a little bit of their knowledge today. You guys freaking Rock.

I just found a new spark plug it's an e 3.10 it's kind of short but it's got a dual Stinger on it.

I'll try the Gap test on it also.

Luv you guys thanks!

(And if you have a problem with me saying that I love you guys...you can kiss my asp... it's not my fault your mom and dad didn't teach you how to appreciate a brother. )

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Mossy

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Probably just your low compression engine and a poor air fuel fix
A larger gap is making a fatter longer spark but weaker
A longer fatter spark Gives the air fuel a better chance at full combustion.
A tuned engine don't need a fatter longer spark for combustion it likes a short intense powerful spark of .027" The S/P lasts longer, It don't last long with a wide gap
NGK S/P range is .020" - .040"

.050"is too big and soon your gonna get misfires The spark will miss the electrode at high Rpms and hit the sides of the S/P, Now its a very weak bad spark causing misfires.

If your engine is happy with a large S/P gap Set it at .040" the S/P won't misfire soon as if it was set at .050"

Or maybe the S/P is old and worn, a large S/P gap helps in that situation

Or if it's cold out, A large S/P gap helps in those situations, Because the air is dense and a longer fatter spark helps combustion in cold weather

Set it at .040" and be happy

S/p is new. No carb leaks, compression is norm, torq/ acceleration and top speed is as high as it's ever been. And that's running a 32 tooth rocket on a 26-in tire.

I guess it's just going to be one of those Mysteries of the universe what the ****.

Reactions: Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
S/p is new. No carb leaks, compression is norm, torq/ acceleration and top speed is as high as it's ever been. And that's running a 32 tooth rocket on a 26-in tire.

I guess it's just going to be one of those Mysteries of the universe what the ****.
Thank you Wevil because of this thread I learned more about plugs and I'm going to try the E3 1.0 plugs... And I also found a deal on some WR7AC Bosch to stock up on... Sometimes it makes a difference how the ground strap on the plug is positioned in relationship to the exaust port... Where it points to when tightened down... How it's made and it can vary from batch to batch for the same # kinda luck of the draw... Also the heads can vary how there threaded and there are different thickness shims available to clock the plugs... So I try to get a bunch of plugs and try and keep track of which ones end up where on whatever... Every little bit helps... Thanks for sharing some love after all these are dangerous machines that are a fun for us to create... I don't have to even know you to love and respect that we're all brothers in this game together... ' It ain't the size of the motor but the size of the heart of the rider that matters...

Attachments

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil