Building custom wheels, need some advice.

GoldenMotor.com

JCraven94

Jul 29, 2017
Hey guys, I decided that I want to try my hand at building a custom set of wheels for my latest build. I'd like to use a double wall rim and heavy gauge spokes for rigidity and strength. I found that Stolen Bike Co. sells a 26" double wall rim for about $40 a pop listed here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Stolen-...111029?hash=item440efb10f5:g:JEsAAOSwubZZ866J

I'm not real sure which hubs I should run, unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to run a disc brake setup since it's a cruiser frame, so I was hoping someone could suggest a decent coaster brake hub that won't break the bank. I'm considering running a front drum brake, but I'm not sure if it's the best idea since I have a springer fork, and it doesn't seem the strongest as is. Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, If anyone could point me in the direction of some good quality 12g spokes and nipples that would be awesome, and if anyone could offer some assistance on measuring for the correct spoke length I'd be very appreciative.

Any information that you guys could lend would be extremely useful, I've done some basic research so I know what I'm getting into, just nailing down the specifics. My local bike shop won't build the wheels, but said he would true 'em up If I could get 'em close enough. I have the confidence I can, I've put together a wheel or two when I used to ride BMX. Included a few pics so you guys could see what I'm working on.
28468072_1674752379227183_7372841126863985845_n.jpg 28468417_1674752422560512_8481011081445500415_n.jpg 28378636_1673997832635971_1604181408295300930_n.jpg 28576708_1673997795969308_4901857462569041728_n.jpg

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I lace a lot of wheels and get spokes from Husky. 270mm length will fit coaster brake rears and front drums with a cross 4 pattern. I use Schwinn tubular rims because they're strong and I have quite a few. Worksman rims are also heavy duty. I think you would be happy with those aluminum rims as well. I usually use moped front drums but lately have been using dirt bike front brakes off of 125cc or smaller bikes. Lots of available at swap meets and ebay. I also have some rims with Sturmey Archer front drums and now they offer a combination Dynohub and brake all in one. Nice looking bike.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Msrfan is on it. Husky Industrial bikes has the cheapest price on chrome 12g spokes. I've ordered from them a few times.

You will probably have to drill the rims for the thicker spokes. Don't panic. It's easy and won't weaken the rim. Just size up the drill bit to the nipple and drill 'em out.

With double wall rims, you might have to drill the outside one size for the nipple diameter, and the inside for the nipple head. It's aluminum, so it'll drill easy. Just don't get carried away and ruin your rim.

The shimano cbe-110 is the best new coaster brake available, cheap, and you can get one that takes 12g spokes. All other new coaster brakes are crap. Don't waste your money.

Youtube has some good videos on lacing rims. It's also nice to have a complete wheel to look at if you don't know what you're doing.

Lacing a wheel can be intimidating your first time, but it's easy once you do a few. I've built hundreds of wheels, and I can lace and true a set in an hour or less, drunk, while watching tv.

Good luck.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yeah the husky rims and spokes are cheap, but they are crappy as ****! and way heavier/tougher than you need! also beware their shipping price, for spokes and rims for two wheels the shipping will be at least $35. The only good things about them is they are tough and cheap. But low quality. The rims aren't even welded accurately, and they are extremely difficult to lace and true. Also when I ordered 12g spokes for the front I got the same 10g as the rear. I suggest going with double wall aluminum rims in whatever flavor you want, there are many to choose from. They may cost 25 to 40 a piece compared to the $15 for husky, but they are about half as hard to true, won't rust, don't have quality issues, and are much, much lighter. You can still have the strength if you build wheels with 12g spokes. Also you want stainless steel spokes in 12g max; all the husky spokes are regular chromed steel. With that little 50cc 4-stroke you don't have much power to start with so keeping the weight down is a bigger deal, and you won't need extra strong wheels for the power. Believe me, 15lbs is a huge difference on one of these. In fact I put thousands of miles on a rear wheel with 14g SS spokes and alloy MTB rim, with the 212 motor... I miss those days when I could load the bike into a pickup without assistance or a ramp.

Those rims you linked to will be good. Get the effective rim diameter (ERD) from the vendor and use that in your calculations. I have always used the dt swiss spoke calculator online putting in custom numbers. About front brakes, a sturmey archer 90mm drum would be perfect. The springer and regular 26" forks will be too weak for it, so you might as well just get a disc compatible fork because the mounts are already there, and you can bolt the reaction arm to the disc caliper mounts. I think the drum brake with a performance incompressible cable housing will be very strong.. you can make your own from SST tubing.

Last edited:

JCraven94

Jul 29, 2017
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Stolen double wall rims. Also ordered a KT coaster brake and a Shimano front disc hub. I seen that someone else was successfully using a brake disc adapter on the springer forks so I decided that would be the route I go. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

JCraven94

Jul 29, 2017
Yeah, I understand I took a hit on quality, but I'm on a really tight budget. My bike doesn't have a very fast top speed, and I'll have a secondary brake so I think I should be okay. Can't be worse than the one that comes with the Huffy I hope.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
It's a lot better than the stock huffy hub. Rebuild it with some quality grease before you use it. Keep it adjusted, and hope for the best.

The main failures I've seen with KTs and others, is the bearings fall apart.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Wheels are usually the weakest part of a motor bicycle. I recommend going the wide. At least 65mm double wall.

Building wheels was the last process that I needed to learn. What I found is after you have all the parts in hand, it's actually not hard at all. Before starting I slept at a Holliday Inn Express, and watched YouTubes about wheel building. If you don't have a wheel building stand, it's no problem, you can true the wheel on the bike.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Just because you have seen a picture of the disc adapter mounted on a cheap springer, does not mean it was a success. im sure that setup worked for that person long enough for them to take a picture. however, most people will not post pics of damage.

Believe me, there was damage for somebody out there running a crappy hub brake setup with a weak fork. Heck, I've bent a fork with the 90mm drum, on a freakin ROAD BICYCLE.

Your best bet with that fork is rim brakes. You do not want to mess around with weak parts in your front end!