broken chain(s)

GoldenMotor.com

motorheadkid

Jan 28, 2023
sooo i just built my first ever bike after seeing one and being amazed by it being into that kind of stuff i was shocked i’d never heard of one anyways i bought and built one everything was going well and on my first ride than chain blew assuming i did something wrong i ordered a new one and put it on and same thing i thought i had pretty good tension based on some research i had done any idea why this may be happening?

Reactions: EZL

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
sooo i just built my first ever bike after seeing one and being amazed by it being into that kind of stuff i was shocked i’d never heard of one anyways i bought and built one everything was going well and on my first ride than chain blew assuming i did something wrong i ordered a new one and put it on and same thing i thought i had pretty good tension based on some research i had done any idea why this may be happening?

Welcome to the forum.... I'm sure it's a simple fix... As Greg said, make sure the engine is mounted solid to the frame & isn't leaning to the side.

Next, make sure the rear sprocket is bolted on as perfect as possible so that it's perfectly centered with no side to side wobble when you spin the wheel.... also make sure there aren't any bent teeth.

Next, make sure the rear sprocket it in line with the engine sprocket.

Last, make sure the chain isn't damaged from popping off & that it's not too loose.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I use a straight edge to lay across the top of the chain to check it for straightness... 1/2" aluminum chanel or a carpenter square would work and a top quality chain... I paid about the same as the kits chain and it will out last the bike or several bikes... The problem with chains is there packed into barrels and some of the links get pinched and bent then it's luck of the draw by the foot that you can get a good section of it... Then it's sensitive to any misalignment or it's just junk but the guy before and after won't notice it because they got the good 4' of it... If you're sprocket is out of true it will loosen and tighten as it wobbles and stress the chain and the tugging will work on loosening up stuff and your out of alignment... A bent frame will do it also... I've had to jump up and down on a frame layed out across a spare wheel to bend it back so it was straightened after a T bone...

Attachments