BRIGGS & STRATTON FLATHEADS

GoldenMotor.com

DRK

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois
Sure wish we had a separate forum for these builds exclusively. I know there aren't many, but if there was a specific forum for them it sure would make it easier to find them. FLATHEADS FOREVER!!!!!!

Reactions: WECSOG

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've got a 1932 Briggs Model Y engine with a kick starter...........just waiting on the inspiration to start a new/old build!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
May not be enough interest to have their own forum. I also love the Briggs flatheads and I'm fine on this forum. Just look in the DIY and cruiser categories to find most of them. I've built 10 or so over the last 30 years and I'm working on 6 more. Also like to build miniature cars using them. Other members like headtrauma, culvercityclassics and many more have built outstanding examples. But if you start a Briggs and Stratton forum, I'll join.

DRK

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois
May not be enough interest to have their own forum. I also love the Briggs flatheads and I'm fine on this forum. Just look in the DIY and cruiser categories to find most of them. I've built 10 or so over the last 30 years and I'm working on 6 more. Also like to build miniature cars using them. Other members like headtrauma, culvercityclassics and many more have built outstanding examples. But if you start a Briggs and Stratton forum, I'll join.
Hey msrfan, kinda figured you'd chime in. Yeah I miss spoke, I meant thread not forum (I had a brain fart, old age ya know). Really like your builds. Would like to pick your brain sometime? What do you think of the 3D clutch as compared to the whizzer setup? Shoot, I got off topic again! ...............................................................WE NEED A THREAD FOR BRIGGS FLATHEADS ONLY!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have some of the cast old iron 5S 6S Briggs, but 80202 and the 19 series Briggs I have used on my Off Highway Vehicle that has CA Reg off road only. I have a left over edger that I could maybe sell for parts. I only wanted the engine really. Mostly I see those whip line things that edge the lawns now. The blade on this thing I always thought was a scary business when if you edge to close to the cement side walk.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I have some of the cast old iron 5S 6S Briggs, but 80202 and the 19 series Briggs I have used on my Off Highway Vehicle that has CA Reg off road only. I have a left over edger that I could maybe sell for parts. I only wanted the engine really. Mostly I see those whip line things that edge the lawns now. The blade on this thing I always thought was a scary business when if you edge to close to the cement side walk.

We called 'em "Sparkers"! Always asked Dad to run it just before dark.......

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I used to like flatheads, and still enjoy seeing one... But don't care for them much anymore. Definitely don't miss having to remove the motor and head just to adjust valve lash. All the go fast porting work on flatheads works great for OHVs too.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
We called 'em "Sparkers"! Always asked Dad to run it just before dark.......

My dad and two other neighbors had the electric one. Then of course danger of the cord cut by the blade too. But what burned him up, was one of the neighbors did a lot of that spark thing. So blades were worn rounder ends that then did not edge the grass well. He took the damaged blade to the grinding wheel to sharpen the corners and it was good, but only until...

So you could hear him cussing about this.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have a Chinese 2hp on the Coleman Generator. It is OHV (Over Head Valve) and since the windings are worn, but I replaced the capacitor it just does not still do to well. The mechanical governor works, but sometime just all of a sudden it just stalls and it has to sit for a long while before it starts again. I think it is the rusty tank. Cleaning the carb showed that it is just an ongoing thing. Also the magneto had to be changed as the guy that gave it to me freebe, started it after like 50 pulls on the recoil. So that is no more with the new mag. Maybe though on a bike I start another with a plastic gas tank like on my current build, no rust. 2hp isn't much though, so maybe another plastic tank and hook it up to an older but perfectly good alternator and battery setup. I have 90 amp one around.It is the one from a 94 Ford Ranger. It was just the brushes were noisy as one was cracked. They make you buy a regulator with the brushes, sort of a rip. If you can spot weld a new brush from somewhere you could fix it. I just swapped out the whole alternator and kept the core for a long trip and a new reg with brushes, I could be on my way without going to a garage. Briggs though, for me has been so reliable. So maybe behind my bike in a wagon I have 90 amps 12vdc running a parabolic mirror and some carbon arc lamp. People at night trying to find where the light is coming from never find it as I'm mobile. OK not legal on my OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) trail bike for one.......

OK found edit. This gen is the kind that is the brushless type, but still there are the 4 doides, maybe they leak or short once in a while and it auto stops, or too much load?

Last edited:

DRK

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois
I used to like flatheads, and still enjoy seeing one... But don't care for them much anymore. Definitely don't miss having to remove the motor and head just to adjust valve lash. All the go fast porting work on flatheads works great for OHVs too.
Yeah, I like the power the OHV's have, but I like the looks, simplicity and reliability of a flathead. By the way Tony, really like the way your bike looks with the stretched frame.(^)